misono sweden 180mm gyuto for large petty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWK1

Reaction score
Do you think this would be a good compliment to a 240mm gyuto as a large petty? I've got the itch for a carbon knife and noticed the this size has a decently thin spine and would give me a good idea of whether I would like the 240 dragon or not.

Then again, it could just be a waste of money that should be put toward a better full sized gyuto.

Anyone find a knife this size handy, or do you just end up using your regular gyuto for everything?

240+ for everything except the finest of detail work. I do use a 210 if I'm on a grill station as my takamura is fairly short and doubles as a suji in a pinch. 180 would only make sense to me in the smallest of kitchens or a super compact line where I only had like 6-8 inches clearance. I would honestly just save the money for a 240 unless you had some specific use for the blade.

I have 180 eu gyuto. Works like a gyuto/petty for sure. Tall enough to use on the board but definitely better suited for smaller tasks. I really like the line, planning to pick up a 240 suji for a sturdier option in my rotation, butchery and line work mostly.

I've also added a 180 Gyuto (Gesshin Ginga) to my quiver for cramped work, fine detail, and petty tasks. Had a tall petty but foolishly sold it. Other pettys don't have the height I want.

I use my 180 gyuto for 90% of the tasks that I do. I have other sizes but I like the 180 because of the fact it works well as a small gyuto or a larger petty. It even works as a micro suji, for me. I think it a very versatile size, at least for my uses. Then again, I cook for two about 95% of the time so my needs might be different than yours.

Latest posts

Back