Another boat, another challenge.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
I recently entered into a partnership with another shipyard. We make the interior and they do the rest. It's the first one of this type for us so it's a new challenge. It's also a new challenge for my apprentice. Until now she worked at a work bench and it's time for her to work onboard a boat.

P7GRs99.jpg

TFdRWy0.jpg

9vfdmnM.jpg

I'd call that more a ship than a boat....sounds like quite a project! You do the entire interior from A to Z?

We (2 full time employees, an apprentice and I) do everything from the base floor to varnishing. This one is 46 feet long, should take us about 1400 hours.

This is a beautiful project. Congratulations. I love boats. I'm an avid angler so my vessel is a relatively humble Ranger 621VS. It is crazy how much money one can sink into a boat. There is always something to address. My fellow anglers and I always say that boat is a acronym for Bring Out Another Thousand.

Tripleq you're spot on! There's just something about having the latest electronics and gadgets lol
I'm a tiller guy myself, rocking an Alumacraft 17.5ft, every spring i tell myself "ok this year you're not changing anything on the fishing rig".....to no avail lol

Curious, is that 1400 linear hours so all 3 working? So roughy 1400*3?

No, it's 1400 hours in total for me, one of my full time employees and my apprentice. The workload is roughly 40% for me, another 40% for my employee and 20% for my apprentice. She's still learning so I don't count her as a full shipwright. My other employee is busy on other projects.

Here are some more pics. We had to work hard today to get everything ready because tomorrow the inside will be sprayed with insulation foam.

https://imgur.com/a/r2fW9

Wow that's crazy. I wouldn't even know where to start with a project like that

I usually take some pics at the beginning and end because I simply don't have the time to document the whole build.

Back