please suggest knife for a rookie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swimcap

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum...and to knife-knowledge in general. Please excuse my complete ignorance on this topic that you are all so passionate about. I am completely open and appreciative to hear your opinions and suggestions. Thank you! - SC

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? 8-INCH CHEF'S KNIFE / ALL-AROUND GENERAL PURPOSE KITCHEN KNIFE AS A GIFT FOR MY GIRLFRIEND WHO DOES NOT HAVE ONE YET. I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING THAT IS NOT READILY FOUND IN THE MAINSTREAM STORES IF POSSIBLE.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? FIRST GOOD KITCHEN KNIFE. DONT THINK SHE HAS ANYTHING YET...ITS A GIFT. SHE MENTIONED SHE NEEDS SOME GOOD KNIVES TO PREPARE MEALS. I THOUGHT I WOULD START HER WITH A CHEF'S KNIFE AND THEN GO FROM THERE DEPENDING UPON HOW SHE LIKES IT.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- I THINK SHE WOULD LIKE A CLEAN, POLISHED LOOK...BUT REALLY ANYTHING I PURCHASE WILL BE APPRECIATED AS SHE KNOWS HOW MY OCD WILL REQUIRE ME TO GET SOMETHING QUALITY AND NOT THE FIRST BLADE I SEE ON THE WALMART SHELF.
Edge Quality/Retention- SOMETHING FAIRLY EASY TO MAINTAIN WOULD BE NICE, I THINK.
Ease of Use- NOT SURE SHE WOULD USE IT EXTENSIVELY ENOUGH FOR THESE TO BE A FACTOR...
Comfort-

What grip do you use? HAMMER, PRETTY SURE ON THAT.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? NOT SURE.

Where do you store them? I'LL PROBABLY GET HER A MAGNETIC STRIP, OR A AT LEAST A GUARD FOR THE KNIFE SO SHE CAN PUT IT IN A DRAWER.

Have you ever oiled a handle? NO

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? I'LL GET HER ONE. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREAT. SINGLE PERSON COOKING FOR HERSELF MOSTLY.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? NOTHING YET. I WILL PURCHASE SOMETHING AND PROBABLY BE THE ONE TO HELP HER SHARPEN WHEN NEED BE.

Have they ever been sharpened? NO

What is your budget? WOULD PREFER ~$300

What do you cook and how often? LOTS OF VEGGIES, CHICKEN, SALAD...SOMETIMES FISH.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? ANYTIME THERE'S A MADE IN USA STAMP ON IT, IT MAKES ME PROUD.

Asai stainless damascus 210mm gyuto. Looks great and is a pretty good performer.

I can't think of a readily available American made knife I would recomment for $300. If I were in your shoes, I would probably get a Glestain and a MAC black ceramic honing rod. I think Westerns are nicer for fishing pole grip. I'd also consider other slightly softer stainless blades like Ashi or Sakai Yusuke at 58 HRC.

I'd recommend the 210mm Yoshihiro Wa-Gyuto. I have it and it is a good starter knife. Also priced right at 145$. Give Jon at JapaneseImports.com a call. He has good customer service and will point you in the right direction. Not American made, but you will find that most members here use Japanese knives.

If you have to have something American made, maybe a Dave Martell 240mm Gyuto. It is near your price range and will come razor sharp. I also believe Dave offers lifetime sharpening on his knives. Might be worth looking into.

Togiharu hammered finish at Korin. I think there's 10% off sale going on. Different shapes and sizes. You'll pay half and she'll be just as happy.

Back