• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn “Noob Sale” Hi-Jacked Pack: Masamoto KS, Sukenari AS, Yoshikane SKD, Arashiyama, Kitayama & Bonus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_2717.jpg

Widely recognized makers/series and an array of knives that makes sense to get anybody on par with J knives and/or knife skills, and have a clearer idea of their preferences while packing easily excellent performance – and good stones to keep them sharp.

IMG_2743.jpg

Of course you might not need that at all, but rather could be into it just to get all of this for:

850$ USD shipped/insured Canada/ConUS.

As always with a “Noob Sale” I’m not trying to be diminutive or to exclude any honest buyer: it’s just a way to say that I WILL prioritize, to the best extent of fairness to all as well as not wasting my time, members that are to the best of my knowledge newer to KKF/knives/sharpening overall, and might benefit more from the offer to get at an entirely different level.

Pictures used here are not flattering: I went for explicitly crude ones for sakes of honesty. Links to more “glamorous” pictures along the way.

Masamoto KS 240mm Gyuto

250/48 +/- 205g neutral balance. Shirogami #2 monosteel.

Custom handle from Isaiah Schroeder Knifeworks, materials unknown at this junction but a really nice piece. Will pack with the original D-shape Ho wood handle and a Saya as well.

IMG_2751.jpg

From BST. According to history, it was sharpened only once – by me. Asking me to remove the patina would be a crime – it’s super stable and should be built upon. AFAIK (patina indeed) no noticeable use damage incurred except some slight scratches at the tip’s left side that were there when I got it, possibly incurred from the Saya – which I didn’t use myself.

IMG_2728.jpg

A bit of the sharpening session can be seen here:

Daily Sharpening Pics

Sukenari Migaki 225mm Gyuto

215/47 +/- 190g slight forward balance. Aogami Super stainless clad. “Stealth” refinished KNS Ebony – meaning in essence that I made it more textured and nuanced instead of dark, slick and shiny.

IMG_2750.jpg

From KNS Australia. Maintenance thinning once, rather concise operation but basic working finish so nothing seamless. Yet the core was almost mirror polished, and spine and choil were smoothed as well. Sharpened about four times overall – it’s been with me for well over a year.

IMG_2725.jpg

See my post about the maintenance thinning here… ahem that’s when I realized I intended to make that post but never got to it in full. It was so long ago now, figuratively speaking, that I wouldn’t care doing so, but I found a few of the pics I’d taken of the fresh out of stones work.

So here’s the best post to it I ever made in the end…

Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

And I’ll join these few pictures of it further below.

Yoshikane Nashiji 165mm Bunka

167/51 +/- 145g slight forward balance. SKD-12 stainless clad. The Teak/Buffalo is really super nice in hand, resistant to water and juices, with a righteous balance of the blade.

IMG_2746.jpg

From Cook Store. Some slight scuffing on the left side from lending it for a couple weeks to a friend– or at least I noticed it afterwards but I guess it could be me. Doesn’t ruin its routine good looks so noticeably, and otherwise in pristine shape. Sharpened once.

IMG_2726.jpg

Never made any more glamorous post, nor intended to at any point, BUT scrolling my archive for the Sukenari work, I did stumble upon one that says it all... see further below.

Furthermore, widely recognized stones you can make good work with for maintenance sharpening, and eventually get to discover in polishing.

IMG_2737.jpg

Imanishi Arashiyama 1K – about 90% left to its Health Bar and looking good.

Imanishi Kitayama 8K – dropped once on cement floor. Mostly superficial damage on a couple corners, except the chunk where it took most of the hit – on the other side than the one I was using, thanks God for small favors. None of it problematic to getting full use of it – otherwise no one would like J-Nats… :p Even counting the damage purely as material, I’d still guess close to 85% left to its Health Bar – in use it’ll rather be over 90%.

IMG_2744.jpg

I’m throwing my old but still effective Atoma 140 into this as a Bonus – well this kit needed a widely recognized flattening stone as well!

850$ USD shipped/insured Canada/ConUS.

Additional rebate for pristine Noob buyers (there needs to be something more to warrant the title) or fellow Canadians (since fewer costs involved in the transaction).

Be well folks!

Last edited:
Having bought a bundle from you i can confirm this is a great deal!

I was so thinking of you when I put up this sale... wondering, will he feel like if he waited, he'd rather have gotten this one instead.

But as I published elsewhere on KKF last night, the path we make for ourselves is the most defining factor of the knives we love and how we look at this whole racket.

Still loving that Mabs?

I'm sorry to say, an offer has come up, and I'll have to withdraw this specific WTS for a renewed one.

Very sorry it's almost ridiculous but this is now withdrawn until I make up my mind what best array of knives I can offer next.

It’s almost a shame to see it withdrawn after so much work and detail was put into it. Can’t wait to see what you cook up next

Mostly a repaste. Just one knife out for another one in and quite a cheaper offer for still as nice a value I believe. But I do see a way to split the whole thing as well... Still thinking, for there were a couple other BSTs showing up soon from me, and none of it to frown up onto, and I do want to make up to this Noob offer with another one even more compelling if I can.
It’s almost a shame to see it withdrawn after so much work and detail was put into it. Can’t wait to see what you cook up next

I was so thinking of you when I put up this sale... wondering, will he feel like if he waited, he'd rather have gotten this one instead.

But as I published elsewhere on KKF last night, the path we make for ourselves is the most defining factor of the knives we love and how we look at this whole racket.

Still loving that Mabs?
That mabs is one of my favourites! The thinning is truly amazing, it definetely out performs the denka gyuto i have, ill have to try my hand at thinning it soon

Back