10 pds of Smoked Bacon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my forth go at this, getting happier with the results each time, so far;). Pictures are out of order, but I'm to lazy to correct them.

Second pic is first, they have been coated in Ruhlmann's cure ingredients but using ratios from diggingdogfarm, I went by the rule of thumb of 7 days per inch so mine should of been in the cure for about 10 days but stayed in for 2 weeks, oh well!: http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

In the first pic they are done with the cure and they are drying in the fridge for a couple of days, this also forms the pellicle (I've been told) which give the smoke a good surface to stick to.

Third pic has the PB in the smoker with temp probes in them. I'm using apple wood and set the temp for 195, they will get pulled once internal temp reaches 150. Then it's back in the fridge for a few days to let things settle down. After that it's off to the deli to borrow their slicer.

WP_20160424_19_25_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20160410_14_44_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20160426_18_00_36_Pro.jpg

Bill, pull them until you've got a thin 200 F blue smoke. Then put them in, if you're shooting for traditional bacon would smoke till internal was 140F. Then from smoker plunge in ice cold water until chilled.

I go a little hotter than 200, but I also look for more maillard. I also don't like to ice bath proteins so I pull at 120 and put it In front of one of these
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1461711361.650976.jpg

And let it temp up to 140-5.

I hope these are preparations for the ECG :)

Stefan

I go a little hotter than 200, but I also look for more maillard. I also don't like to ice bath proteins so I pull at 120 and put it In front of one of these
View attachment 31618

And let it temp up to 140-5.

Dardeau, I like your style. I was trying to make it a little easier on Bill. The funny thing is he probably has one of these blowers, prob. two.

When I see this post about smoking bacon I can't help but think about my missing friend. He is gone but not forgotten.

Me too. I had a whole line of charcuterie projects for him to work on. Those air movers are great for drying proteins too, either for the grill or to speed up pellicle formation. They work really well for fish skin.

Bill, pull them until you've got a thin 200 F blue smoke. Then put them in, if you're shooting for traditional bacon would smoke till internal was 140F. Then from smoker plunge in ice cold water until chilled.

MB,

Didn't see this until too late, next time! I pulled them at 148 and put them in the freezer for about 30 min and then into the fridge. I added pepper before smoking to about half of the belly which is why some look darker. Cooked some up last night as a potato topping and I'm very happy with the flavor. I will try and save a couple pounds for the ECG. Two entire shelves have food either aging or curing...Life is Good!

WP_20160428_11_34_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20160428_11_34_10_Pro.jpg

Back