$11 for a SS 8" Ksab chef's knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're probably as good as half the knives of kitchens in this country. Shrug

Not for me. I will gift this to a non knife junky. She will think this is an awesome knife. I'll put an edge on it from time to time.

I asked for a refund and they sent the request to River Road. It'll be a couple days if that processes.

Amazon also offered free shipping if I decided I wanted to get the real thing this time (which I wont, but not due to dissatisfaction for Amazon). I also get to keep this knife, and do.... something with it...

It would seem that in either event this vendor flew too close to the sun since it hit the KKF forums. A lot of knife passionate people are angry now, and they're not going to take this crap anymore!

Apparently River Road has the ability to remove negative reviews -- not sure how that's done, but several that were there on April 17th, including mine, and now go.

Moreover, I have to wonder if the plethora of 5-star reviews for RR are largely phony -- I've never seen a seller get such a high percentage of "perfect" ratings from customers.

Got my return packaging slips today quick and easy, even though this happened amazon is still easy to work with. I usually only buy from them if it is fulfilled by them, but figured I would give this knife a try, oh well.

I will never give credence to ratings on Amazon again.

I emailed Amazon about my order, they sent a reply informing me that my money is being refunded and told me to keep or dispose of the knife. I will see how it sharpens, then maybe keep it around for abuse or give it to someone.

Amazon cutomer service was quick to respond and handled it well.
River Road hopefully gets what they deserve.

there is an old saying, If It Sounds Too Good to Be True, It Always Is..... lesson learned guys? :groucho:

Wow - sorry to hear you guys got hosed by RR. I would not blame Amazon they play host to a lot of great vendors. I just had a great experience through Rakuten though.

Apparently River Road has the ability to remove negative reviews -- not sure how that's done, but several that were there on April 17th, including mine, and now go.

Moreover, I have to wonder if the plethora of 5-star reviews for RR are largely phony -- I've never seen a seller get such a high percentage of "perfect" ratings from customers.

That is more than likely because it was an error by Amazon. I don't think the good reviews for RR are phony. I think the retailer does a good job at locating close out and wholesale products at very good prices and takes advantage of Amazon's near perfect logistics to deliver a very positive customer experience to price sensitive individuals.

There are two types of vendors on Amazon, those which use the site simply as a retail outlet and billing system, and those who additionally warehouse and ship their goods through Amazon. RR is the latter. The vendor sets their own pricing, and given that it was $11, I'd say that RR knew full well he was selling the cheap chinese knives and he priced them accordingly. Amazon is responsible for listing, billing, picking, packing, and shipping items for those vendors. They made the listing mistake, so they will incur the cost to rectify the issue and they will protect damage to RRs reputation for the issue. It's a minor inconvenience to those of us who purchased the knife (2 for me), but all-in-all they did right by us, IMO.

Turns out the deal was too good to be true.

there is an old saying, If It Sounds Too Good to Be True, It Always Is..... lesson learned guys? :groucho:
Well, not necessarily. It could have been a misprint.

I own a Kitchenaid Professional 600 Stand Mixer that I got new for a final cost of $49.99. Macy's had an ad in the L.A. Times for several Kitchenaid mixers, including the 600 for $99.99. I jokingly showed it to my wife, who said, "LET'S GO!" Despite my protests that they would never honor the price, which was an obvious misprint, we were at Macy's when they opened, ran to the kitchen department, grabbed a brand new 600 mixer, and took it to the checkout stand. The clerk rang it up and said it was on sale and that the sale price was $399.99 plus tax. I said, "No, it's on sale for $99.99," and handed her the ad. She called her supervisor, who looked at the ad, called someone else, shrugged her shoulders, and told the clerk to give it to me for the advertised price. Then the clerk said, "BTW, there's a 'Friends and Family' discount of 10% and a rebate of $50." "How nice -- give me the forms," I said. We walked out with the brand new new mixer; the out-the-door price with tax was $99.99, I got a $50 rebate in the mail on top of that, and I was able to register it at Kitchenaid. I posted a message about the deal on a couple to cooking BBs, but others told me that by the time they arrived, Macy's had signs posted throughout the store saying that the ad was a misprint and they would not honor it. Too bad -- I've been making cookies and cakes with it ever since.

Bottom line: it never hurts to try.

I finally decided to open the package. Wowee, it's not good. I wonder if they even have quality control.

Well, Amazon let me keep it even with the refund. What should I do with it?

I'm gonna take mine to work and leave it in my drawer for those days that I need to cut open boxes or cut sandwiches in half.

Yeah I'll just leave it alone. I don't want to shorten the lives of my drill bits for one.

I'll use it on days when I need to break a coconut or lobster.

at least it was free...and it got me free shipping on my victorinox boning knife i bought with it.

I'll give it to my mother...she will enjoy it.

ERC, I love my Forschner boner, hope you enjoy yours.

I've tried it out on some random stuff...it's got a damn nice stock edge on it and the shape is great. I'm going to order 3 more for butchering deer. These will make my life so much easier.

And for how cheap they are...no wonder butchers use them.

I used mine tonight to cut something in a glass pie plate, got a few chips in the edge :happymug:

I used mine tonight to cut something in a glass pie plate, got a few chips in the edge :happymug:

Wow, that's odd...and surprising. I've had three for years, a stiff one , a flexible one and a stiff one with a radical curve. I don't know if I could get them to chip if I tried. Shrug

Back