240 Gyuto recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KNIFE TYPE

What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
CHEF/Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240 or maybe slightly larger, and not terribly light. Not has heavy as German blade (Wusthoff etc) but heavier than my current Gyuto

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No,

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Would like to be close to/around $200, but a little flexible. Used is also fine, if it gets me a better deal I’d prefer it. However any links to the BST will be for informational purposes only for the moment. I want to think about this for a bit.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home only, but we cook a lot.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Mostly veggies and some meat. I have a clever to deal with thick bones. We do a good amount of squash and pumpkins etc. This is where my current Gyuto seems to lack the necessary heft.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not replacing...adding. I currently have a JCK B2 Gyuto (210, Western handle, clad in some sort of stainless) and its my fav. I got it bc I wanted to try the B2 and I love it. It gets the sharpest, easiest to get that way. It’s the one I reach for the most. But it’s a little light for some of our tasks. I have a 130 petty in SG 2, western handle. I forget maker but it was not cheap. Im actually not a fan of this steel, at least on this knife. I also have a bare bones VG10 Santoku. It’s packed away right now but I would guess it’s 210. This was inexpensive bc it’s no frills but I like the steel. Sharpens well, not to fussy or needy. But the B2 is by far my fav. I also have a clever that I have no idea what it is, I inherited it....but it’s off putting to sharpen. Like nails on a chalkboard. Some sort of stainless...it’s just a beater.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
hammer and pinch mostly

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push, draw, rock, walk, slice, some chopping but not a lot
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I love my current gyuto and the B2 steel. And It’s just a pleasure on the stones, most of the time stropping is all it needs. I Wanted something a little beefier and larger. Food sticks to the blade as well so with cucumbers etc you slice 5, and then remove, I wouldn’t mind losing that aspect of it.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
none of that is important to me...I love Damascus, and patina, I kind of prefer it to bright stainless... and I wouldn’t say no to a beautiful knife, but Im more concerned with food sticking, and being a little heavier duty, and price.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Heavier blade than my current 210, but I don’t know the weight on it, nor do I have a scale atm. The western handle is comfortable enough IMO but Ive liked the Japanese style handles I’ve used too

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Better food release for sure.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Don’t really have set length of time, I have stones to sharpen and don’t mind doing it. But the longer it lasts the better I guess.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Bamboo

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I think I covered most of it. I find the number of choices and names to be overwhelming. I just want something quality, and bigger/heavier than my current Gyuto, if people could narrow down my choices it would be helpful. Used is fine for me as well, but not going to buy this for a bit. I wash dry them after use and have the tools to maintain them. I also use the blade to gather food a lot so a wider (taller?) Gyuto might be better. This will be used multiple times a day, every day, for a long time, so a work horse quality knife is important.
Would you say the knife is a laser? 210mm you like.

Edit your Orginal post?
Screenshot_20221005-094338_Opera.jpg

Back