26C3 san mai WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSC /// Knives

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
So I ordered some of the 26C3 from @Alpha Knife Supply and so did my friend Gilbert M.

Gilbert had ordered some and said he was thinking about making some san mai with it.
While I'm a big user of laminated steels, I've only made it once and I wanted more exposure to it. Gilbert has done some san mai work so I jumped at the chance.

We were unable to procure 410 ss cladding stock in time so we went with AEB-L as it was readily available and inexpensive. So here is what we did and what I learned so far. I'm no expert, I'm just conveying what we/I did,

we used two bars of 26C3, .078 thck, one bar of aeb-l clad per side
I'm used to the core being about 33% of the total thickness, so this san mai was different for me in that sense.

executive summary, this work was done yesterday Saturday
1) forge weld in controlled forge with ribbon burner - 2250 F
2) material was simple and easy to work with
3) we normalized cycled the steel after drawing it out, my overall bar (core centering) was not as good as Gilberts due to my limited power hammer skills
4) I used my standard process anneal practice of dull cherry red and into ash - result was the steel was hard and not annealed, difficult to saw, difficult to drill, not sure why.... Will have to use different anneal technique.
5) I HT using my standard practice for Hitachi laminated steel, heat in forge, quench in water, flash temper.
6) no problems cracking or delam in water quench
7) The hardened blade would not straighten easily as I'm accustomed to of Japanese laminated steels I'm used to working with. I had to beat on it hard with a brass mallet on wood stump, really hard. I did finally get it to straighten.
7) grain structure of the core appeared very fine.
8) the rockwell hardness of the core seemed high
9) Im certain I cracked the core during straightening, I'm not surprised, I hit it pretty hard.

added -
I ground the blade down until the cracks were gone leaving me with a 9 1/4" long blade, becoming a long petty/sujihiki.

my personal conclusions for me based on my working with laminated steel with Hitachi core.

1) this steel is harder to sharpen, not hard to sharpen, just harder than Hitachi white or other simple carbon steels (with Japanese waterstones)
2) I used alot more belts to grind
3) the edge is very sharp, super scary sharp
4) I'm excited to use this tonight on chicken and carrots
5) I didn't like the etched finish and will go with a kasumi style finish
6) I think we used too thick of a core and would advise a thinner core in the future of about 33% total thickness

xxJh7sv.jpg

joAPJ8u.jpg

Hvqwq69.jpg

qT9FVeB.jpg

BfU4y7U.jpg

Gilbert's bar

bUMP6QX.jpg

water quench

cS5qS2w.jpg

ZOmRB8D.jpg

zR6itgg.jpg

jjpTEyB.jpg

I cracked the blade again at the very last minute trying to straighten a slight bend in the spine.
I ended up with a very nice 6" prep knife with lignum vitae and rosewood frame handle

Harbeer

BkUUw0G.jpg

Jib5sbU.jpg

why using this steel for cladding ? ( I know, you do not have 410 or 316 or...) but with this amont of C and CR ... after forge welding you have a crap structure inside ,and you lose all the benefit of cladding here.

why using this steel for cladding ? ( I know, you do not have 410 or 316 or...) but with this amont of C and CR ... after forge welding you have a crap structure inside ,and you lose all the benefit of cladding here.

Hello Bryan, AEB-L was all we had at the time, it was mostly an exercise to work with the 26C3 carbon steel.
I've ordered some 410 for the future.

Actually I think the forge welding went very well and the structure inside is quite intact.
It was a fun little project and a way for us to try out the new carbon steel

regards
Harbeer

Last edited:
ZOmRB8D.jpg

the cladding here do not looks very healthy :D
no big deal if for the next time you use free carbon SS steel.

ZOmRB8D.jpg

the cladding here do not looks very healthy :D
no big deal if for the next time you use free carbon SS steel.

no it doesn't, agreed
but the core looks great, and that's what we were after.
There are different ways to measure the success of a project experience, I got alot out of this and that's what was important to me

Harbeer

"but the core looks great, and that's what we were after."

yes,
but, not only, the proof here, you lose all the mechanical interest of sanmai construction.
you have a cladding more brittle than the core.

Latest posts

Back