2K 3 micron stropped edge.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like aggressive edges with lots of bite so I tend to go with hybrid edges. Often a 1K stropped on something between a 5K and 8K and often with Aoto slurry on the finisher. Yumm.

Enter the Shapton Kuromaku 2k. I love this stone. Feels amazing. Nice blend of speed, feedback etc. Problem is, its a 2K and on its own, is only 2K keen which is not bad, but leaves a lot on the table with good steels. Enter 3 micron diamonds.

The Shapton 2K stropped on 3 micron diamonds. Now this is an edge I really like. Its very keen, great bite, and has a super power. Really nice feedback in the cut.

If you have one of these stones and some 3 micron diamonds sitting about, give it a go.

FC_20220119_0020.jpg

Do you mean that a 2k edge is not aggressive enough and you got to the diamond strop to achieve that? 3 micron diamond is actually finer than 2k stone, even if the effect on edge might be different.

Which diamond compound are you using? I see your strop is rough side out—do you find that superior to smooth side or denim?

Do you mean that a 2k edge is not aggressive enough and you got to the diamond strop to achieve that? 3 micron diamond is actually finer than 2k stone, even if the effect on edge might be different.
The Shapton Kuromaku 2ks edge has nice aggression to me. It’s just that 2k is not that keen an edge. Stropping it on the 3 mic diamonds keens it up a little.

the nice thing about stropping compound is that it can be used in a way that is both slow cutting but also unlikely to roll your edge if you are a bit careful with your strop. that ultimately means that you can have quite fine control over the edge you end up with in a way I personally find a bit hard using just stones.

I really really really like 1 micron for carbon maintenance between stone sessions. I have found it particularly wonderful off suita edges.

I'm liking something similar, just a bit finer - Shapton Glass 3K and then I use a Shapton Pro 12K like a strop.

Ugg. Not another stone to get :)
I have the 16k version of that and yea, makes a great strop.
If you haven't tried it, take a few light edge leading strokes on it after your finisher. Makes for an interesting edge.

Back