• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

3* ULTIMATE SUITAS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are ultimate suitas?

To me they are stones that give a clean kasumi with high contrast such as with uchigumori but with a finer mirror edge and this in a quick time.
THis is a mixture of right grain size, hardness and purity.

I find clean is important, it helps sparing much time when I use them with much pressure for exemple. Also I don't want to use finger stones every time I sharpen a knife.
About sharpness, I have too little experience for use with razors so I can't tell if the sharpness is ultimate for shaving hairs.

This is the result that matches to my vision of utlimate suita:

Greatest contrast

But scratch free and almost mirror edge

Three stone that have very close parameters and give the result above.

1)Okudo Shiro Suita HS55

200mm*75mm*40mm
$550 shipped
For this stone I built an epoxy/lead base so it weights now about 3kg (!)

screenshot tool

2)Ohira Suita AO Renge (middle soft)

210mm*73mm*25mm
$550 shipped
Unlike harder Ao Renge this one won't never scratch the cladding, even if used with much pressure.

[/url

3) Ohira Sunashi

235*87*70mm
3365g
$1200 shipped
This one is of collector size and now at a very low price.
The line is only color and can't be felt

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/9058kon4d/]

I'll give you $10 and my eternal gratitude for the sunashi :lol2: My eternal gratitude is not a bad deal :lol2:

..And compared to the famous uchigumori?

Uchigumori are also suita and they also give a nice kasumi. They are speciality stones.
I had the chance to use hundreds of Uchigumori stones and they are extremely various from very soft to hardest.
The softest and coarsest uchigumori can be felt as fast stones and erase fine scratches.
The hardest and finest uchigumori can give a semi-mirror/mirror edge but can be felt to be slow.

These three stones I call ultimate suitas have all the most beautiful qualities of Uchigumori, AND they are fast.
So you can see them as no brainer or stones for everything. Perfect if you want most beautiful surface and this in the shortest time. You can use them with very heavy pressure without carring about the slurry. Btw for the pictures above I used the higest pressure, probably between 2 and 3 kg and as you can see core and clad are perfect.

They are the very only suita I‘ve tried that give this result and believe me, I‘ve tried many..!

I have a suita, a Shinden or Okudo, that's a terrific all rounder. It's blazing fast but also a bit coarser with a good amount of slurry. With a light slurry it's refined and creates a perfect chisel edge with high contrast. It's a small stone and I would love to have a bench stone sized one. Oh well, we can't have everything. Anyway, glws.

beautiful stones
what is the hardness of the ohira sunashi?
thanks

beautiful stones
what is the hardness of the ohira sunashi?
thanks

Hi adsjean,

the Okudo was precisely measured by Watanabe as HS55, useful hardness for finishers for kitchen knives.

The Ohira Sunashi gives almost the same feeling so I could bet it is the same hardness.

For these three stones I guess it is good to refer to the pictures.
As I wrote, no one of them is extra coarse/fine nor soft/hard.
One should see them as tools giving the precise kasumi effect on the pictures above.

I'm sorry, 3-4 HUNDRED JNats? Holy moly. Are you guys all secret millionaires?

If I were a millionaire I would have a $30,000 jnat :D:
RLOgExj.jpg

Back