3D printed wa knife handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensbites

Reaction score
I have started down the path of 3D printing. I am about to try printing a wa handle for my Dao santoku, is anyone else doing this? It is way easier than cutting and glueing wood. It does lack the soul of a nice burl or curly wood.

Eventually I think it would be cool to 3D print wood impregnated handle with a copper/silver impregnated spacer, and a carbon fiber impregnated ferrule.

What do you guys think?

You talkin about them rustic Daovua knives from Vietnam? Should just have the tang shoved into a shed antler handle or perhaps fallen tree branch for the most consistent aesthetic IMHO. :D

3D printing would be cool for custom designs like what people do with lasers etching designs on the steel.

I think 3d printed handles makes sense in some cases. for example custom handles, cheaper handles, or handles where you want to prototype a bunch of different style and be able to reproduce the same shape etc. For working with natural materials (gorgeous wood i´m looking at you) cnc work would make sense. I´m sure we´ll see some really nice 3d printed materials at some point, perhaps sooner than later.

I've always wanted to 3d print a saya but I don't have a large enough print bed.

I've always wanted to 3d print a saya but I don't have a large enough print bed.
I have an ender3 I think it is 220x220. Let me know if you want me to give it a try.

Did you upload your .stl anywhere?

I'm trying to make a 3D model of an octagonal wa handle in DS Mechanical, but it's an uphill battle.

Back