Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have many. I would say my Eddworks 52100 is decently reactive actually (not a negative thing; just a factual point). I think it is harder to see due to the etching. What @Troopah_Knives said makes sense to me now. I think closer to a perfect mirror finish the knife is (at least that's what I took from his comment), the less reactive the knife will be.
Yes, this is well known that the more polish the less reactive it is. 52100 is less reactive than white and blue steels, but it doesn't have enough chromium to really be called not reactive.

Yes, this is well known that the more polish the less reactive it is. 52100 is less reactive than white and blue steels, but it doesn't have enough chromium to really be called not reactive.
I have a few mirror honyakis in different steels that are relatively reactive. a lot more reactive than the 52100 NewHam I had (high polish but not mirror). I knew more polish the less reactive in general, but the difference among my different 52100 knives are quite significant...

I have a few mirror honyakis in different steels that are relatively reactive. a lot more reactive than the 52100 NewHam I had (high polish but not mirror). I knew more polish the less reactive in general, but the difference among my different 52100 knives are quite significant...
For steels like white, for example polish helps, but there is no chromium so polish or don't it is reactive. In comparison 52100 is less reactive and if you polish it it will be better, but it is only not reactive compared to really simple steels. Drop some lemon juice on it you'll see.

The Zwilling Kramer carbon made me a believer. One of my favorite knives to sharpen, though mine had been thinned considerably by JKI before I got it. Even so, the steel abraded so beautifully that it made me want to write a song about it. Or something. Anyway, it was lovely to sharpen and reasonably corrosion resistant and it made me want to try other knives in this steel. I haven't had the chance yet but I've always wanted to. In particular, I want to try a 230-ish gyuto from Carter Hopkins, but I don't think he's in the business anymore. And even if he is, I'm too broke.

Anyway, from what I've seen the steel tends to be pretty great all around at most heat treatments. I mean, it's nothing fancy but for a simple fine grained carbon with decent corrosion resistance, there's a lot to like about it.
I have the same knife. Thinned it and dunked it in ferric and the corrosion resistance is pretty decent!

Back