A case of the bends

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did not want to take pictures, because I did not want to memorialize this horror show, nor contribute to the chance of anyone else developing PTSD from the images. As a second preface, by KKF standards, I consider my sharpening skills to be advanced novice.

Yesterday, I took my (made-for version) Shigefusa Kurouchi Nakiri to the stones for the first serious thinning since acquiring it in 2015. The plan was SG500, SG2000, and then, if I had time, JNS Blue Aoto. I have, but did not start with SG220, as I think that this steel is just too easy to work, and it wouldn't be required.

So I start on the SG500, work side 1 for a couple of minutes, and inspect. Bleh, feh, retch. Spots missed, uneven scratch pattern. So I keep at it, to no benefit, and the added bonus from the additional pressure that I thought might help, now scratches on the kuro finish. Then went to the other side which came out perfectly. Go back to side 1, no joy— can not achieve a single thing that I would expect to happen. Move to SG2000, same on the bad side, good side comes out a champ. Got the apex done to satisfaction, then gave up.

This morning I am eating second breakfast, and what pops into my head was the receipt in 2014 of a 180mm Ginsan gyuto from Metalmaster, that had an obvious curve in it, which I had thankfully discovered prior to any sharpening. Voila, I grab the Shig, and there it was, an approximately 1mm deflection from true at the center. I carefully bent it back, got the stones out, and we happy.

I just hope that going forward, I remember to check all knives prior to sharpening. Because even if I put up a sign, there would be a solid chance that I would ignore it.

About the only advice I can give related to the bends is to quickly get back under pressure, then slowly bring back to standard atmosphere so the nitrogen has time to slowly dissolve and be released. Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

My personal experience with the bends (twice) was to return for refund.

Latest posts

Back