About the Kurosaki R2-wa handle(Shizuku Kurosaki)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yannguyen

Reaction score
Hello I just bought the Kurosaki Shizuku(R2/SG-2 Steel WA-handle). I am using the plastic cutting board at work ,restaurant (as a line cook) and at home. I wonder if the Kurosaki R2 can survive the plastic cutting board and large amount of prep(i mean can i use the Kurosaki R2 for the plastic/poly cutting board at restaurant kitchen) and i wonder what should i think about since this knife is the first good knife i own i never own a good knife before and i have bought the Ohishi waterstone 1k/3k grit a long with it.( I never sharpen any knife or using sharpening stone neither).So far i just using the knife at home for small amount of prep and go gentle on it. So i wonder if you have any tips or can show me what should i think or do.

Thank you so much
Have a great day everyone

If you're worried about working through the edge, you could always put a microbevel on it...have you checked out Theory's vids on his Tanaka R2? He does some serious prep and I think his R2 is still his favorite knife.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PCCkitchen

If you're worried about working through the edge, you could always put a microbevel on it...have you checked out Theory's vids on his Tanaka R2? He does some serious prep and I think his R2 is still his favorite knife.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PCCkitchen

Don't use the edge of the knife to scrape your board..use the spine
Don't use too much muscle when cutting
Use your highest grit stone to strop daily
practice sharpening on a crappy knife first to get the action right

Don't use the edge of the knife to scrape your board..use the spine
Don't use too much muscle when cutting
Use your highest grit stone to strop daily
practice sharpening on a crappy knife first to get the action right

I only have the 3k as the highest grit and a leather strop i wonder if it work. And i wonder how do you stroping the knife with the whetstone is it the same motion as stroping the knife with leather strop
Thank you

I only have the 3k as the highest grit and a leather strop i wonder if it work. And i wonder how do you stroping the knife with the whetstone is it the same motion as stroping the knife with leather strop
Thank you

I would strop with the 3000. I use the same motion as a leather/balsa strop but a stone is less forgiving of bad technique...i.e maintain the right angle...a few strokes either side will do it

Back