add me to the list

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyp450

Reaction score
Hi all--I just started obsessing over Japanese knives. How I went from two Globals to sevens knives in a month is beyond me...

In my defense, I did not just go out and buy seven blingy 240mm gyutos... I started with 210mm takeda gyuto, then came a 240mm sukenari zdp gyuto, 150mm konosuke petty, 270mm takayui damascus sujihiki, 210mm toyama kasumi gyuto (since the takeda is so tall), and a 210mm toyama damascus gyuto I purchased from KKF classifieds (I don't use this knife; it's currently being displayed on a bookshelf). I plan on selling the takeda and the sujihiki though, and I would like to purchase a takeda nakiri, so I guess I'll be down to six knives soon.

What I've really enjoyed so far is being able to compare and contrast the different blade geometries. All the knives are excellent cutting machines; however, the different profiles, grinds, and sizes, lend a unique flavor to each knife.

Don't worry, the whole seven gyuto thing will happen soon enough. No need for any of them to be blingy either, unless that is your thing.

In my defense, I did not just go out and buy seven blingy 240mm gyutos... I started with 210mm takeda gyuto, then came a 240mm sukenari zdp gyuto, 150mm konosuke petty, 270mm takayui damascus sujihiki, 210mm toyama kasumi gyuto (since the takeda is so tall), and a 210mm toyama damascus gyuto I purchased from KKF classifieds (I don't use this knife; it's currently being displayed on a bookshelf). I plan on selling the takeda and the sujihiki though, and I would like to purchase a takeda nakiri, so I guess I'll be down to six knives soon.

What I've really enjoyed so far is being able to compare and contrast the different blade geometries. All the knives are excellent cutting machines; however, the different profiles, grinds, and sizes, lend a unique flavor to each knife.

That's a very good start. Just $5K more and you'll be on your way to a nice collection! ;-)

Don't know if your married but wait till your wife sees a 7k credit card statement. Oh yea.

I'm sure you think these guys are kidding about the whole $5k, $7k thing. I'd love to tell you they are too, but, errrrrr ....

Take your time, it's a great trip :)

Don't know if your married but wait till your wife sees a 7k credit card statement. Oh yea.

yea--I don't think she'll be too happy when I tell her that she has to sell one of her kidneys because I bought a bunch of kitchen knives.

I keep talking about thinking the herd, but the herd keeps growing...

Back