Advice on Buying used Diamond Plates

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy the Atoma 400 and forget about DMT. The cluster pattern of the diamonds on the Atoma make it a better plate for hogging off metal and flattening stones. And buy it new, they're not that expensive. I wouldn't even consider buying a used diamond plate because you never know what you're getting. As for the longevity, well, that depends on the pressure you use, the type of steel you sharpen and/or the hardness of the stone you flatten with it. I bought a 600/1200 Atoma plate last year (I just stuck the 1200 replacement sheet on the other side of the base plate) that I use to sharpen my chisels and plane blades and it doesn't show any sign of slowing down. I also have an Atoma 1200 at home for my kitchen knives and that one also hasn't slowed down.

I have been using my atoma 140 and 400 for four years without issue. My CKTG 140 grit plate and Iwood 150 are three years old, also no issues. My DMT plates are, boy idk, probably 5-6 years old or so with no issues either. But as I said in the other thread, I favor the atoma. It performs better all round.

How’s the quality of the CKTG 140? Good enough to use on my Shapton glass?

Sounds like I'll be purchasing a CKTG 140 as well. Thanks for the input. Now for me to choose something else to buy from Mark to get the free shipping

He even says in the description they're not dead flat. Kinda scratching my head why anyone would want to buy a diamond plate that is not dead flat...

He even says in the description they're not dead flat. Kinda scratching my head why anyone would want to buy a diamond plate that is not dead flat...

I have three. Two full size and one ep size for raising slurry and they all seem flat to me. That is to say they remove the grid pattern from my stones and they measure flat afterward with a straight edge. But I am a good enough for government work kind of guy...:lol2:

Back