Advice on next knife - Togo Reigou vs Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sb1994

Reaction score
Just learning about the Togo Reigou steel and loving every facet of it so far. Would like to get one but have had heart set on Honyaki for last 5 years but never pulled trigger. 800$ budget but can I even buy a Honyaki for that much? and if so, is this a better option than a Togo Reigou - assuming I can even find one. Never used either Honyaki nor TR so I’m unsure of the sensation these knives offer vs that of Nenox, Kono FM, Toyama.

My use case: home cook for wife and twin daughters, mainly Italian, Asian, Mexican food. Use push cut mainly on Asahi rubber cutting board.

Thx in advance for any/all advice.

~
Kikuichi Kasumi Usuba | Konosuke FM Gyuto, Sumiiro Petty | Masamoto Kiritsuke | Nenox S1 Gyuto, Deba, Paring | Toyama Gyuto

Last edited:
They are both going to be very high hardness low alloyed carbon steels. What's more important between the two is how they are ground/finished and honestly what story you like better. Togos are extremely hard to get and sell out within seconds. There are plenty of used honyakis that come up for sale here for reasonable prices. Can also comission one from a western maker, or look into some that I will post below for reasonably priced options

Number 1 is nice because of the price, and togashi+tosa is a fantastic combination of smith and sharpener. Second is great because Kagekiyo have a very high standard for fit and finish, and mirror polish is just awesome. Third, Kyuzo really knows how to grind, and white 3 is a little bit tougher than white 2 if you are worried about chipping such a hard blade.

Togo Reigou in the end is just another type of metal. Ask yourself if you care about the steel and notice the difference between them when you slice up the kitchen. Do you feel the difference between the steels when sharpening? If I were you, I would get the honyaki especially if you have been waiting to try it for 5 years. You might feel a bigger difference from san mai knives you are more used to and thus add some more spice. If I were to add my personal take on this, then togo reigou is largely hype and marketing. I'm sure it was ahead of its time but in the end, modern steels are probably the same if not better.

For sure. Please send pics once you get. Trying to wifey into knives and honyaki may be the gateway :)

Latest posts

Back