American burger

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in England in 1965 and went to a Formula 1 race at Brands Hatch. When lunch time rolled around I went to the concession stand, ordered a hamburger and was served a burger made from...wait for it...ham. When I questioned it I was politely informed that I if had wanted my burger made from beef, I should have ordered a beefburger.

True story.
Well they were wrong to say that.It is only called a hamburger because of where it originated in hamburg germany.
Not because there is ham in the pattie.

Well they were wrong to say that.It is only called a hamburger because of where it originated in hamburg germany.

No argument from me. Just reporting. :)

I was in England in 1965 and went to a Formula 1 race at Brands Hatch. When lunch time rolled around I went to the concession stand, ordered a hamburger and was served a burger made from...wait for it...ham. When I questioned it I was politely informed that I if had wanted my burger made from beef, I should have ordered a beefburger.

True story.

Good thing you didn't order a hot dog...

[video=youtube;6WPq5jtW5J0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPq5jtW5J0[/video]

I forgot to mention in my prior post- when you're trimming your beef for grinding, cut it into long strips with the grain. Lay the strips side by side, on a sheet pan or what have you, prior to par freezing. The strips will curl around the 'worm' of the grinder and facilitate cutting the meat against the grain, adding to extra tenderrrrr-ness.

I forgot to mention in my prior post- when you're trimming your beef for grinding, cut it into long strips with the grain. Lay the strips side by side, on a sheet pan or what have you, prior to par freezing. The strips will curl around the 'worm' of the grinder and facilitate cutting the meat against the grain, adding to extra tenderrrrr-ness.

Great tip!

I grind bacon into mine usually. Last New Years we cured a bunch of fat from ribeyes into a weird beef lardo, then cold smoked it. That now lives in the freezer to grind into staff meal burgers and meatloaf.

Also brainsausage's grinding tip is legit, it makes a noticeable difference.

I did a 50/50 Beef and Bacon burger at the last job. I really didn't like it but it sold really well. Now I do one with 80% beef and 20% braised whole slab bacon mixed in. The smokeyness is in much better proportion and the texture is better.

50/50 is way too much. One of my local favorites uses 75% chuck and 25% brisket, then patties it out thin "diner burger" style, cooks it on a big flat top, stacks two patties with cheese and pickles between, and leaves you with a mayonnaise bar to choose from. Really greasy, satisfying burger.

50/50 is way too much. One of my local favorites uses 75% chuck and 25% brisket, then patties it out thin "diner burger" style, cooks it on a big flat top, stacks two patties with cheese and pickles between, and leaves you with a mayonnaise bar to choose from. Really greasy, satisfying burger.

I lived down the street from that place. Nice people and I wish them all the success in the world (although, hopefully, I don't think they need it) but I personally am very anti-thin patty. I like a good thick burger that can be hard seared to a nice mid-rare.

There is a restaurant here in Chicago (Au Cheval) that is known for a similar type burger. I haven't tried it yet. This thread is getting me in the mood to, though.

I agree 50/50 is way too much. From what I was told by the person who wanted it on the menu there is a burger restaurant or chain that does all their burgers 50/50 beef and bacon.

You have to take into consideration that 1965 wasn't too far from the end of WWII. Anything German related was frowned upon, hence the name change. You also wouldn't find German Shepherds in the UK, but you could find Alsatians. Same dog, different name.

I guess I'm the odd man out. I like Worcester Sauce and garlic powder blended into my burger mix.

For those who like lots of additional ingredients in their burger here's Ernest Hemingway's version. Pretty much the opposite pole from what most of us here seem to prefer, but I wouldn't argue with Papa. Especially after he'd had half a dozen or so banana daiquiris. :boxing:

BgNGXCVCEAAhTdc.jpg

For those who like lots of additional ingredients in their burger here's Ernest Hemingway's version. Pretty much the opposite pole from what most of us here seem to prefer, but I wouldn't argue with Papa. Especially after he'd had half a dozen or so banana daiquiris. :boxing:

BgNGXCVCEAAhTdc.jpg

Soy sauce in a burger...Well that's what my mother in law puts in her burgers. She says it makes them beefier.

I lived down the street from that place. Nice people and I wish them all the success in the world (although, hopefully, I don't think they need it) but I personally am very anti-thin patty. I like a good thick burger that can be hard seared to a nice mid-rare.

There is a restaurant here in Chicago (Au Cheval) that is known for a similar type burger. I haven't tried it yet. This thread is getting me in the mood to, though.

While everything at Au Cheval is fantastic, the burger is a true classic!

https://slaters5050.com/

I haven't tied 50/50 bacon/beef because it seems way too much bacon for me, but I like using 20-25% bacon. It's greasy but impossible to dry out.
They don't have the bacon heft that you are looking for, but it's a pretty good marketing gimmick for Slaters. Their straight burgers are pretty good though.
When I had some 15% beef, I melted some bacon fat and mixed it in after it cooled. That made pretty good burgers.

Predominantly brisket, some short rib, and chuck. To this I add some home made Lardo. Par frozen/ground and loosely gathered. Then a french roll. I make them larger than a typical hamburger bun. I like them very airy, but chewy. Butter and toast the inside, but the outside stays very soft. Very thin slice of Grafton Village cheddar...bacon jam (think bacon spread), stout piece of lettuce and tomato.

You have style Neil. What else do you do with the lardo ?

Beef, Worcestershire, lemon ju., ground ginger, garlic powder S&P form patties. Grill in pan wt. burgers, onions, mushrooms, & fresh slices of jalapeno peppers. Prefer large diameter buns. Vine ripe tomato's, dill pickle slices, Manoa lettuce.

Optional avocado scooped thin with a spoon, so lay flat on the works. Usually no cheese but if do extra sharp chedder. Dijon mustard & Best Foods Mayonnaise.

Because it's easy and comforting, makes for another canvas to do a bunch of stuff to it. Usually made with low quality meat, so needs a boost in flavor.

I like mine with equal parts t-bone/sirloin/shortrib, some Worcestershire, blackening seasoning, coarse salt&pepp, then pan seared (heavy pan) with butter. Dijon, mayo, pickles, green leaf lettuce , thin tomato, shaved red onion, on a fluffy toasted bun. Fried egg always welcome bonus.

+1 on the egg. I also like some pickled mustard seed, beer infused/grilled onion, diced white onion, diced bread and butter pickles, tomato, Bibb lettuce, american cheese(no substitutions), ketchup, and black garlic mayo. Everyone needs to understand the beauty that is black garlic mayo. Umami warhead:knife:

Latest posts

Back