Android Steel Chart 2.1 published

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol I think the 4 star one said they wanted heat treat methods on there for a star. Great app. it is deserving of 5 stars.

Thanks. Yeah, one of the 4 stars was that :) I'd add HT info, but I'll need some help from makers and so far nobody stepped out. Even though, HT can be troublesome for me and can lead to arguments.

Gator, I just spent half the afternoon and part of the evening on that great site, Thank you for setting it up.

Added to my favorites. :)

Rottman, your fix is right on, but let's hope for the best :)
HHH thanks, it's very nice getting acknowledgement for that work from knifemakers.

If you're serious about heat treatment information it would be better to collect data sheets rather than specific heat treatments from knife makers. If you did add heat treatments from knifemakers there need not be a definitive heat treatment. They can simply be compiled without commentary.

What would be the point. Chemistry defines a steel. Heat treat is a secondary operation. It's not like aluminum where A356-T6 has a specific meaning. And even then, chemistry defines what A356 is.

-AJ

If you're serious about heat treatment information it would be better to collect data sheets rather than specific heat treatments from knife makers. If you did add heat treatments from knifemakers there need not be a definitive heat treatment. They can simply be compiled without commentary.
I am serious about adding HT, I wanna do it, but not 100% decided though. That's what I wanted to talk to you about in this post in iphone app thread.
The thing is, I don't really understand HT info as it is listed in various sources, and where to get that info either. Some steel makers list it, others do not, HT books I've seen also have info in varying formats and so on...
There are also issues with alloy groups, e.g. is D2 HT info applicable for its German or Chinese counterpart?

Another problem is, I am not sure yet how many people actually want it, I did get quite a few requests, but judging from knife steel iphone app experience that's not really an indicator of an interest.
Considering that some people get cranky with my absolutely free/ad free apps for whatever reason, I suppose HT info will just add to that. So, yeah I have a few things to think about ;)

I would think it would be very cool. But I have yet to do any kind of forging/ heat treating ect. So for me it would be more info than what I have now. :)

New version is up, 3.70.
Added history, or recently viewed item under listings, shows last 50 viewed steels, fixed few bugs, UI and settings related, reworked UI to be more uniform and so on... Enjoy :)

Version 3.72 is up. Added Belgian(NBN) and Hungarian(MSZ) standards. Improved support for hi res phones.

Version 3.80 went online today, an hour ago. Fixed a crash which appeared last week, due to incorrect db data. UI improvements, speed and memory optimizations. Also, included in the app are alloying element effects descriptions. In both, alloy detail and graph views "Elements" menu item displays a list of chemical elements composing alloy(s) and tap on the ? next to the name displays its effects.

Knife steel chart for Android ver. 3.90 posted on google play.

A lot of new features and bug fixes this time:

New Features:
Added Bookmarks, including import and export; Now you can mark alloys and view them in a separate group Listings/Bookmarks.
Country codes, Standard codes, element effects and other metadata are downloaded from the server; I.e. I can add new standards and country codes without releasing new app.
Added toolbars in all major views; Since it's faster and I got tired of complaints that app had no search, apparently not everyone could find menu button on their anrdoid phone...
Added support for multiuser environments;
Disabled dialog buttons look different;
Updated help file;
Added Quick search bar to the steel list, displays alloys containing search string;
Performance Optimizations in the browser list;
Detail view can handle complex links;
Detail view shows Maker, Standard, Country and Technology;
Increased line spacing in the steel detail view; Easier to read and tap on the ref. name links.
Graph In Atomic count mode doesn't display decimals, gives more space;
Added group boundary indicators;
Element legend popup in graph hides on touch on empty space, shown by default;

Enjoy and Merry Christmas :)

P.S. iPhone version with corresponding changes will follow in 1-2 months.

Just updated mine, thanks for all the work you put into it.

Thanks guys :)
Cranky. I had no idea you were Dennis :) Good to see you too and Happy new year everyone!

Knife steel chart for Android ver. 3.91 posted on google play.

You need to back up your bookmarks before downloading this update, and then import them. I'll add automatic bookmark migration in the next version.

What's new:
Unified Search
Bookmarks Sorted By Name
Browser Window Title Shows When Filtering Is Active By More Than One Criteria
Note Search String Became Inclusive, Returns All Alloys Containing Search String
Improved Note Lookup Algorithm For Aliased Alloy Names
Considerably Improved App Loading Time
Reduced Memory Footprint For Deep Hierarchy Navigation
On Restore App Returns To The Last View

Bug Fixes:
Fixed potential crash on app startup for older devices

Latest posts

Back