Any F1 fans here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do I know just like it because was in Grand Prix movie that came out in 1966 filmed in 1965 season. One of best racing films of all time.

Yeh Max was leading the whole race in Spain.

What do I know just like it because was in Grand Prix movie that came out in 1966 filmed in 1965 season. One of best racing films of all time.

The circuit itself is really quite beautiful and I also like the layout. It's also one of the most demanding circuits for the drivers, as you have zero margin for error.

I just think it's too narrow for modern F1 cars. Overtaking is very difficult here. Only place really is at the end of the tunnel, before the chicane. But if you have a driver in front of you who knows what he's doing, even there it's difficult. Sure, you could try to overtake on other parts of the circuit, but it usually ends up in tears (just look at Leclerc 2019).

Also, there is no rain forecast. The Monaco F1 2016 was one I did enjoy 🙂.

Bummer; Looks like TSN is not carrying Friday practice (FP2). They will be carrying quali as usual, as well as the race on Sunday.

Thursday practice saw Tsunoda and Schumacher kissing the ARMCO,,, and Ferrari were 1 and 2 in the afternoon session, with Leclerc leading Sainz.

Check out Leclerc's lap here,,, I think I'd need to be wearing several pairs of Depends if I were a passenger.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...astest-lap-of-day.1FkowF2kasfvsxPY5lyzQe.html

Last edited:
Bummer; Looks like TSN is not carrying Friday practice (FP2). They will be carrying quali as usual, as well as the race on Sunday.

Both FP1 and FP2 were on thursday, FP3 is on saturday, so no friday practice this weekend ;).

Hope Leclerc will do well this weekend, as he is yet to finish his home race. (Well, technically it's a home race for several drivers, as a lot of them live there)

A fast onboard in monaco is really hypnotizing. I'd also be sh****ng myself 😅.

Last edited:
Leclerc has a new name;,,,,Charles L‘Eclair (Charles lightning).

re "the accident", let's hope his gearbox survived the crash, otherwise he'll start P6 (5 place grid penalty for gearbox change)

Anybody watch the slo-mo of that crash???? It almost looks like he deliberately steered VERY sharply into the armco, taking out his right front, and ending the session prematurely with seconds to go, and no chance for a session restart, cementing his pole position. At the moment of impact, Max was on his flying lap, and was already fastest in sectors 1 and 2. Hmmmm. I've not seen any sign that the stewards are looking at it, but this could be interesting. I'd hate to be the steward who decides against Charles in his hometown race.

Last edited:
I hope Leclerc has more honour than that, but I had memories of '06 all over again 🤭 :

I don't know where the Ferrari's suddenly got their pace, but they were fast. Max also was fast, and it isn't Hamilton's weekend, could get very interesting for the championship.

I was however disappointed in Ricciardo. He usually does very well at monaco, but didn't reach Q3. I really hope he does well tomorrow.

Well Bart you can eat your popcorn now. Max won his first Monaco. Good to see Lando Norris make the podium.

Championship
Well Bart you can eat your popcorn now. Max won his first Monaco

Yeah, it was a pretty uneventful race for him. Now 4 points ahead of Hamilton. A weekend to quickly forget for Mercedes. Norris also a good race, now 3th in the championship. And indeed, those Mclarens looked beautiful.

Too bad for Leclerc though, again a DNF in his hometown. That's 3 in a row now for him.

Next race also a streetcircuit, Baku.

I kind of got the feeling with the larger F1 cars in a place like Monaco it is a challenge to race
those laps with out crashing into something other than a car. At least with the protruding down force front sections. Are they called wings?

I saw somewhere on line a overhead picture of the red bull Honda next to the 1.5L Honda RA 272 from 1965. It looked tiny next to Red Bull.
It is much wider of coarse, but longer too.

Harder to navigate at speed in tight street conditions.

I kind of got the feeling with the larger F1 cars in a place like Monaco it is a challenge to race
those laps with out crashing into something other than a car. At least with the protruding down force front sections. Are they called wings?

I saw somewhere on line a overhead picture of the red bull Honda next to the 1.5L Honda RA 272 from 1965. It looked tiny next to Red Bull.
It is much wider of coarse, but longer too.

Harder to navigate at speed in tight street conditions.

Yes, they are called front wings. The width of a modern F1 car is 2m, where the Honda RA 272 was about 1.6m.

That makes narrow streetcircuits like Monaco indeed difficult to race, as overtaking is difficult, so no real action on the track. That's why the quali and pitstops are so important there, and if nothing happens, the startgrit is more or less how the race will end.

EDIT: here is a page with max driving the Honda RA272 and you can see them side by side. Big difference indeed.
https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbullracing/taste-hondas-history

Last edited:
The excitement of the races is something of the past on most current tracks IMO.
I've driven some pretty fast cars but a passenger ride in an F1 car is the 2nd on my thrillseekers list, a night cat shot from an air craft carrier is nr 1 :p , flying a wingsuit at low altitude nr 3...probably that F1 co-ride is the most feasible one.

Last edited:
Yes the modern car is much safer than in 60's.
Max mentioned didn't have seat belts.

In movie Gran Prix Blu ray special features interviewed old race drivers like sterling Moss.

He said that if you crashed it was a 50/50 chance the car would blow up in fire. That's why didn't like seat belts better to be tossed from the car you might survive.

I've driven some pretty fast cars but a passenger ride in an F1 car is the 2nd on my thrillseekers list, a night cat shot from an air craft carrier is nr 1 :p , flying a wingsuit at low altitude nr 3...probably that F1 co-ride is the most feasible one.

I think there are some companies at Zandvoort who offer rides in duo f1 cars.

He said that if you crashed it was a 50/50 chance the car would blow up in fire. That's why didn't like seat belts better to be tossed from the car you might survive.

Haha nice quote from Sterling Moss. Different era, and F1 has come a long way. Just look at the crash of Grosjean last year. He wouldn't have survived it if it was in the 60's.

Proximity wing suit flying has a high death rate
compared to other sports. I got hooked into watching utubes imagining what that must feel like.

yeah, live life dangerously and all that..I must have been borne with a low blood pressure together with little patience, which makes it a very tedious thing to engulf myself in the learning process for wingsuit flying that probably takes hundreds of hours to master well enough to fly downhill in mountains without adding to the statistics immediately.

the YT footage is awesome, I watched some 4K stuff that was dazzling

F1 rides in older two seat cars are manageable, probably a reason not to pursue it too hard...that cat shot is nr 1

They have a trainer version of the Soviet Mig 15
Thought to be the most produced jet. 13,000 &
built elsewhere as much as 18,000 total.

Near end of war Germans made wind tunnel .model of Fock Wolf jet to succeed Me 262.
The Russians got all that & some German scientist just like the US did. The Mig 15 looks a lot like that German model. Right after war Rolls Royce had best turbo jet engine. Russians went to England bought a jet engine copied & manufactured it.

Operational 1949. In Korea the little swept wing fighter was shooting down B29 bombers
& straight wing American jet fighters.

Americans brought in F86 swept wing that dominated after that.

Aviation Museum at Pearl Harbor has F86 &
Mig 15. The Mig is smaller like a little sports car.

Thumbs up for McLaren's livery,,, superb job from Lando. Outstanding performance from Sainz as well. Very happy that Seb got "Driver of the Day", and Checo also had a VERY strong showing. As for Gasly, he's been consistently better than his car.

and now,,,, for something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (as Monty Python would say),,,,What the heck is up with Mercedes and their pit strategy? (and I'm not talking about Valteri's pit stop). They attempt to pull an "undercut" with Lewis at lap 30 in a 78 lap race ????????????? WTFWT??????? Lewis lost 2 positions to Seb and Gasly due to that "brain-storm". Even if that undercut had worked,,, it would have pretty well guaranteed the Lewis would have to pit again before race end.

Max deservedly 'won" that race,,,, but I wouldn't call it a "victory" when the cars that should have started in front, as well as the car behind are DNF's.

So now we wait to see what happens to 'Limbo Wing". Baku has one of the longest straights in F1, and if Red Bull are forced to withdraw their design, I presume Mercedes will once again dominate.

Ferrari's "faux pas" regarding Leclerc's gearbox is completely inexcusable. They performed a WHAT??? (visual check of the gear box itself) and not the driveshaft??????? Was the fear of losing pole position to a 5-place grid penalty worth hiding their head in the sand and "not taking necessary precautions", especially when drive-train issues are such a well known consequence with a side-impact like Leclerc had suffered in quali????

I thought today's race "sucked". Thank God Mickelson cheered me up. Goooo Lefty!!!! (oldest player ever to win a major PGA tournament,,,,50 years,11 months, 8 days

Last edited:
@Bobby2shots It did seem like the problem for Hamilton was a slow out lap and not being able to get the tires working. The teams and Pirelli seemed to not be concerned about tire wear and a long stint. Due to difficulties of overtaking, some degradation towards the end might not have made a big difference.

@Bobby2shots It did seem like the problem for Hamilton was a slow out lap and not being able to get the tires working. The teams and Pirelli seemed to not be concerned about tire wear and a long stint. Due to difficulties of overtaking, some degradation towards the end might not have made a big difference.

Yes, they said the tires were not up to working temperature,,, but Good God,,,,, have they not figured out by now that this is usually the case when coming out of the pits? They took a chance, and the outcome was predictable, with a margin of risk, and ultimately a fail. I just find that all too often, Mercedes non-driver strategists decide what's best for Lewis, without allowing Lewis the leeway to decide. Lewis was NOT happy, and there was a lot of chatter over team radio, but I couldn't really make out what Lewis was saying. Surely they were not expecting to put Lewis on the podium,,,when Lewis boxed, he was running 7th I believe. They must have been expecting an undercut, and they got outfoxed by an overcut. Seb and Gasly were on softs at that point. and Lewis came out on cold hard tires.

I realize that Monaco is the shortest track on the calender, and that tires can last the race with a wide margin for tire change, but the way I see it, it's not solely a question of how long a tire lasts, but rather, what condition your tires are in, relative to your opponent at a given point in the race. There was no questioning that Lewis would have to finish the race on those slower hard tires,,,, with 48 laps to go.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ers-over-lost-places.1700559287847202379.html

@Bobby2shots

We're in agreement. I think it was strange they didn't have that data. Clearly they had some issues. Perhaps slow speed and not generating enough downforce, who knows? But looking at earlier sessions last week, they should've factored that into the undercut strategy.

It seems like a fun season though. I've not followed as closely for a few years. Started watching about 20 years ago, but recently the excitement has wore off. But this season is shaping up and it's cool with Hamilton approaching 100/100.

I've found this mini serie on youtube of Guy Martin, training and doing a pitstop with the Williams F1 crew. It's amazing how much time, money and effort goes in those 2 seconds. Some nice behind the scene footage and shows how much of a team effort F1 really is. Enjoy!

Video 1:

Video 2:

Video 3:

Video 4:

Video 5:

Video 6:
Guy's Race Pit Stop During The Belgian GP | Guy Martin Proper

I watched some of this a week ago. Could not
believe how fast the pit stops in modern F1 so
researched it. Amazing the teamwork.

What a race. Max with another victory blows out a tire. Then Hamilton burns up his brakes on restart. I ran out of time on recording because of long delay.

That track puts tires under stress at least you could see the cars going flat out on long straight.

I was sorry to see Max out of the race the leaders were taking a gamble because only pit stop was early in the race. At least Hamilton went out too. Lot of races to go long season.

I used to be pretty good at geography. Somehow couldn't place Azerbaijan. The buildings & castles placed into ages long past.

Looked it up & read about it. Part of old Persian empire. Invaded by Russians in 1920 for it's oil
and gas. I knew it must've been one of those Soviet bloc countries.

What a race. Max with another victory blows out a tire. Then Hamilton burns up his brakes on restart. I ran out of time on recording because of long delay.

That track puts tires under stress at least you could see the cars going flat out on long straight.

I was sorry to see Max out of the race the leaders were taking a gamble because only pit stop was early in the race. At least Hamilton went out too. Lot of races to go long season.

I used to be pretty good at geography. Somehow couldn't place Azerbaijan. The buildings & castles placed into ages long past.

Looked it up & read about it. Part of old Persian empire. Invaded by Russians in 1920 for it's oil
and gas. I knew it must've been one of those Soviet bloc countries.

Messages like this should be prefaced with "Spoiler Alert!" Luckily I had already watched the race.

Back