Any opinion about Hiromoto honyaki gyuto.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sold out a long time ago, it was only $320 so great value for a honyaki!

Koki said the new version has a stainless tang. Anyone compared the newer version to the older version?

Also, is welding a stainless tang a common practice? How much does it really help?

Has anyone ordered the lefty version? I was quite surprised to see it only cost $10 extra :)

haha, jck website made it sound like they will simply go regrind the blade or something, sounds like you might lose height and profile as well lol.

in terms of my opinion, i love mine, actually glad i ordered the 270 instead of the 240, love the added length (just slightly longer) and the over all profile and generous flat spot. Steel wise, it sharpens up just like my 185mm one but feels slightly harder/glassier. They both take a beating well. OOTB they are similar, slightly thicker behind the edge then some others but in actual use - say cutting somewhat beefier carrots it doens't really feel any different than a thinner behind the edge blade.

Mine it s super thin behind the edge and the tip it s the thinnest of all my knives. Bad thing is that there is a overgrind which I will have to fix in the next sharpening session! Nothing bad but it anoining me a lot!!!!

Do you guys find the knife very flexible roughly 1/4 length to the tip? I find mine flex a lot comparing to kasumi knives like toyama and kato.

I found mine a little thick behind the edge, especially near the tip area. Can't dice onions without applying a lot of force. It looks like it will benefit from thinning.

my 270 definitely isn't the thinnest behind the edge but in actual kitchen use I don't feel a noticeable difference (since I wouldn't call it exactly real thick behind the edge). Maybe we are talking about individual sample variance here. The tip of mine from the spine is actually thinner than my Kato's tip, my 185mm is actually the thinnest when looking at the tip from the spine side for all my knives. I think the bottom line is they are great daily drivers that fits well for a wide range of tasks and if you want to tweak it to your liking it can only get better from there.

Do you guys find the knife very flexible roughly 1/4 length to the tip? I find mine flex a lot comparing to kasumi knives like toyama and kato.

my 270mm does has some flex for the final 1/4 or so of the blade, I only have one 270mm so can't compare the stiffness for a 240mm which I would expect to have less flex due to less length, it certainly does not flex to the degree where it feels dangerous using the knife or pose a problem when sharpening on stones :D. I find my 185mm feel very stiff with little flex.

I can't detect any noticeable flex on my 240. There is some if you apply real pressure but not in the normal course of things.

In terms if thinness behind the edge, I'd say on the thinner side of medium thickness, if that makes sense

when I put my 240 on a vice trying to ease the spin using shoe shine method, 1/4 to the tip would flex uncomfortable. Mine is also quite thin behind the edge closer to the tip.

Btw, the "plain" look of the Hiromoto is really growing on me.

Mines 24, are not flex at all, and only Ryusen Blazen may have thinner tip, may not.
Being ignorant of the procedures involved, concerning the cases with the thick tip, it may vary because of the person that did the grinding?

I found mine a little thick behind the edge, especially near the tip area. Can't dice onions without applying a lot of force. It looks like it will benefit from thinning.

Try sharpening it properly first.
Since it is carbon, maybe the tip sectors edge reacted more than the rest of the blade

Try sharpening it properly first.
Since it is carbon, maybe the tip sectors edge reacted more than the rest of the blade

I must say i was using the factory edge before my first comment. After sharpening (numata, takashima, ohira karasu) it was better, but still required considerably more force to push cut through onions than, say, Takeda or Watanabe. Still think it would benefit from a little thinning. Mine is the one with a metal bolster and has no flex.

I must say i was using the factory edge before my first comment. After sharpening (numata, takashima, ohira karasu) it was better, but still required considerably more force to push cut through onions than, say, Takeda or Watanabe. Still think it would benefit from a little thinning. Mine is the one with a metal bolster and has no flex.

When did you get yours? I am noticing something similar to you that it requires a little more force to push through denser vegetables.

The said Honyaki varies in weight from 215 to 256 grams...

most of them are in 225 to 235 region..

Z

it's quite possible as it is definitely not a laser by any regards, I can totally see a takeda doing better through onions since it might be a thinner blade as well. My 270 only has slight flex for the final 1.4 or so if i try to bend it.

Here is a comparison on how the thickness looks from the spine side as well as general profile comparison between my line up. Something worth mentioning is even the Kurosaki has 0 issues doing horizontal and vertical cuts for some of the mutant onions we buy here.

😎 #hiromoto #kiyoshikato #shigefusa #yukurosaki by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

IMG_20170216_163004_112 by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

Mine is also fairly new. Maybe the most recent batch have a different grind compared to the earlier ones.

The one I showed above is also within the past 2 months or so. I wouldn't call it a thick grind but it's not a thin grind that's for sure but it cuts comparable to the rest as each knife has it's quirks. The tip of the hiromoto is fine for onions (horizontal and vertical cut) as I cook alot of that through out the week and it is smooth when doing push cuts to complete the dicing/squaring of the onions and I don't even have the knife skills as most pros do on here.

Don't mean to disappoint you, don't mean to impress or to act smart, but either something is wrong with your particular knife, or with your sharpening.
Mines requires no force at all, I don't have as good stones as you have, I am content with my sharpening skills, but I imagine half of the forum might be better than me.

The said Honyaki varies in weight from 215 to 256 grams...

most of them are in 225 to 235 region..

Z

Metal bolster 24, I have 2, on the different scales 240 gr each

Bolsterless, 214 gr

Don't mean to disappoint you, don't mean to impress or to act smart, but either something is wrong with your particular knife, or with your sharpening.
Mines requires no force at all, I don't have as good stones as you have, I am content with my sharpening skills, but I imagine half of the forum might be better than me.

I'm not disappointed at all, i see this as a feature of my particular hiromoto. Zero flex and a bit thicker behind the edge than i would like, that's all. As i said before, a little thinning should solve that. As a plus, the edge it takes is great and i like it can keep a higher polished edge than most.

As for the possibility of something being wrong with my sharpening, i could be wrong, but i don't think that's the issue. The edge it takes is great, the problem is the geometry.

my metal bolster 240mm is around 223g on the scale.

I'm not sure if the micarta handle has anything to do with the weight comparing to pakkawood handle.

My 240 with micarta handle is 225g.

Haha, so either the knives vary, or my scales need recalibration.
Anyways, you enjoy your knives?
They give you a blast?

I imagine the knives might vary a little bit, being made by hand and all.
I have a great time with knives and stones when sharpening and cooking. Even with this hiromoto issue, i'm still happy with the kind of polished edge this knife can sustain. Honyakis are awesome.

Back