• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Any Tinker Knife, esp. Tank

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to buy a Tinker Tank, as mine is wearing out and its time to look for a new one. I've already emailed Shibata, he's making me a few knives. But in the mean time, I need a new daily driver. I also am interested in the other tinker knives, always wanted one, so might as well kill two birds with one stone. Anyway, Thanks in advance.

How do you go about “wearing out” a tinker tank?
Use it for 5 years, in a professional kitchen, as the main knife, for 60 hours a week, and maybe drop it a few times on accident.

Maybe wearing out wasn't the right way to put it. I guess, it's just getting too short.

Excellent knife and could easily replace any of my Gyutos! I'm holding onto mine. Have you considered a custom small cleaver? There is less of a tip to chip off!

Excellent knife and could easily replace any of my Gyutos! I'm holding onto mine. Have you considered a custom small cleaver? There is less of a tip to chip off!

No. They don't have the "it" factor. I don't know if it's shibatas sharpening skills, or if it's the heat treat, or if it's the tip itself. But it's literally the perfect knife for me.

it kinda blows my mind that you use a tinker tank as your main knife. especially in a professional kitchen. i have to assume one arm is bigger than the other haha. I sold mine a while back, it was nice to have in my collection, but a bit too "clunky" for me.

what knives do you have ordered from shibata already?

it kinda blows my mind that you use a tinker tank as your main knife. especially in a professional kitchen. i have to assume one arm is bigger than the other haha. I sold mine a while back, it was nice to have in my collection, but a bit too "clunky" for me.

what knives do you have ordered from shibata already?
It's a different technique that can be equally efficient!

No. They don't have the "it" factor. I don't know if it's shibatas sharpening skills, or if it's the heat treat, or if it's the tip itself. But it's literally the perfect knife for me.
The toughness and sharpness is unbelievable. It's geometry makes it even tougher than my Denka. All round it's very impressive.

Last edited:
Back