Aranyik Binsui & khao men

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay so my quest to find the best natural toothy finish has led me full circle to an old thread I remember seeing dating back to like 2017 or something. Figured I may as we roll the dice with these two t-nats for half the cost of one jnat. I say I am pleasantly surprised. I dulled my kochi and ran a few passes over the binsui, then some light passes on the khao men and I’m really liking how the edge is biting produce.

It’s also gigantic so it will last a lifetime. Two lifetimes of I find a way to cut them in half. Not bad for $200, also Miles is awesome to deal with.

9850C2C4-D0CC-46BB-88BE-D59C2640349F.jpeg
03871D62-15F3-4FC9-BD3D-104C2D9977F0.jpeg
5ADB5D9D-341B-40EE-8393-38EBE49424D4.jpeg

Later this week I will see what sort of polishing capabilities these have, but for now I’m happy with the edge it’s got, excited to see how it holds up to a day of work. Will try to keep this updated

What's a "Thai Binsui"? Do the Thais grade natural-stones in the fashion that the Japanese do?

It’s also gigantic so it will last a lifetime. Two lifetimes of I find a way to cut them in half.

You might have some luck at a granite / tile shop, maybe they can help cut it. Or renting a wet saw.

I think I remember reading somewhere that a carbide saw would work too, but it'll take a long time.

Personally been interested in the binsui for a while but never had the chance to try it

Are you using them for sharpening only or also for polishing?
You might have some luck at a granite / tile shop, maybe they can help cut it. Or renting a wet saw.

I think I remember reading somewhere that a carbide saw would work too, but it'll take a long time.

Personally been interested in the binsui for a while but never had the chance to try it

Sharpening. Really only care about edge quality. If it leaves a neat Kasumi on my two KU knives that’s a bonus but I don’t particularly care about finishes in into working knives

Does the stones create slurry or does slurry have to be created with a diamond plate?

Does the stones create slurry or does slurry have to be created with a diamond plate?

I can only speak about the Khao Men, but the stone itself will produce a slurry. You can use a tomo natural to create it first if you want it quicker but it doesn't take long for a slurry to be produced

I really like the Khao Men for edge sharpening, but recently got an Aizu which I like much better.

Okay so my quest to find the best natural toothy finish has led me full circle to an old thread I remember seeing dating back to like 2017 or something. Figured I may as we roll the dice with these two t-nats for half the cost of one jnat. I say I am pleasantly surprised. I dulled my kochi and ran a few passes over the binsui, then some light passes on the khao men and I’m really liking how the edge is biting produce.

It’s also gigantic so it will last a lifetime. Two lifetimes of I find a way to cut them in half. Not bad for $200, also Miles is awesome to deal with.

View attachment 110584View attachment 110585View attachment 110586

Later this week I will see what sort of polishing capabilities these have, but for now I’m happy with the edge it’s got, excited to see how it holds up to a day of work. Will try to keep this updated
Have you had time to get some good testing in? How would you compare the two?

Have you had time to get some good testing in? How would you compare the two?
Binsui does not slurry much, currently it’s the lowest grit stone I’m using for sharpening, then I finish on khao men, which slurries quite a bit more. Both fee very hard, binsui feeling much harder. Still like them a lot, and don’t see myself changing this setup anytime soon.

Binsui does not slurry much, currently it’s the lowest grit stone I’m using for sharpening, then I finish on khao men, which slurries quite a bit more. Both fee very hard, binsui feeling much harder. Still like them a lot, and don’t see myself changing this setup anytime soon.
Roughly what grit would you consider the khao men?

Dan, you know what I like. I had an Aizu I thought was too fine. Would these be a bit more coarse, aggressive? Your endorsement would push me over the edge.
i don't know enough about stones to give you a great answer. They are a little big to schlep around but if you want to come play with them sometime feel free. They are cheap and i like em!

The best toothy edge ever comes from whatever in the lower grits as long as a sharp bevel is formed and a king 6k when it comes to steels like AEBL. If you want something to be toothy with a carbon steel that isn't speed steel or anything that is crazy hard ANY 1k done properly will give you a killer edge. If you sharpen on natural stones the edges vary depending on the shape and size of the abrasive and edges can go any way. Now with all the new smiths and knife makers with different steels all hell broke loose. Stick to white steel, blue super and AEBL like steels. If you can get a kikuichimonji on their special steel your in for a treat or if you can get an A type from aritsugu o ****, have fun sharpening that ****, edges bite into anything you throw at it though.

Back