Are there any foods or dishes that you never had and want to try?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my :2cents:.

Fish has to strike a balance between flavor and texture. When the fish is alive, it's texture is fantastic, but the compounds that create flavor are locked up and working, doing their original jobs. If you are eating the belly, you are eating something that is anywhere from 20-60% fat, which does not perform a task, and it's flavor compounds are just stored up as available nutrients. As a fish degrades after death, more flavor busts out as the initial stage of decomposition, and it makes the flavor more accessible to your palate, but the texture suffers.

There is a traditional method in Japan of catching a tuna and burying it in the sand for 1-3 days before digging it up and eating it, for this reason.

Same principle as aging a steak I suppose.

When I was working in Bermuda we could go down to the wharf and purchase fish directly off the boats. Thong-Chai, chef at Chopsticks (our Chinese restaraunt) would always take the belly meat warm off of any available ahi tuna and make sushi for employee meal, this was where I was first exposed to high-end Japanese cutlery.

In Bermuda we occasionally had access to exotic meats from South African game preserves, I have good memories of Lion enchilaldas and water buffalo carne asada. At Rosa's we would post the scriptings of specials out in the wait station to familiarize the staff with menu ingrediants.

We were sitting around drunk at Docksiders one night, and got the idea to write a scripting for elephant chili. The first line said "One medium elephant, small dice"-then it just got silly. Seems like we had included a quart of grape peels, etc. We posted it in the wait station and had a good time fooling the staff until customers starting asking the owner when we were serving it! Always wanted to try elephant.

Hax CLEAVERS RULE!!:doublethumbsup:

Well, you could always go to the Varsity for a Jumbo FO, then swing by Krispy Kreme for a dozen hot & fresh. Instant diabetes, and you won't sleep for 2 days from the sugar rush.

I've always wanted to try dog.
A little stringy and greasy, somewhat gamey.

Went to the Varsity 2 weeks ago, been there done that stained my shirt, no need to go back :D LOL!

Had meat tacos in Mexico once. Not beef tacos, meat tacos. I've always wondered if it wasn't dog.

-AJ

usually when they say meat tacos, it horse or burro. eaten lots of meat tacos in mexico.

Found this at the San-A market today...

2012-02-04_15.44.41.jpg

Got a big :no: from the wife though.

In fact, today's breakfast was biscuits and gravy with homemade sausage and farm-fresh eggs...

What's funny is I am so sick of eating that stuff! I'd kill for some other kind of breakfast, like a kick ass omelet or scramble. A fancy take on eggs Benedict. Or pancakes that didn't taste like McDonald's.

Here's this mornings breakfast. I'm sure the eggs are not farm fresh. This is basically what ALL of the restaurants here serve. Or some form of breakfast sandwich.

IMG_20120217_084025.jpg

-AJ

What's funny is I am so sick of eating that stuff! I'd kill for some other kind of breakfast, like a kick ass omelet or scramble. A fancy take on eggs Benedict. Or pancakes that didn't taste like McDonald's.

-AJ

AJ,
Must be rough to have that as a staple. :hungry:

I fell in love with that breakfast as a kid in Baton Rouge, but I can see where you (and your arteries) could need some change occasionally. Now for me that is a special treat that I get at a truckstop cafe on my way to pheasant hunting (their eggs are fresh).

My brother just got some chickens a few months ago so I am hoping to get some fresh eggs this weekend.

We literally put out exactly that breakfast, plus potatoes, every single day at my job. It's the stand-by.

AJ,
Must be rough to have that as a staple. :hungry:

I fell in love with that breakfast as a kid in Baton Rouge, but I can see where you (and your arteries) could need some change occasionally. Now for me that is a special treat that I get at a truckstop cafe on my way to pheasant hunting (their eggs are fresh).

My brother just got some chickens a few months ago so I am hoping to get some fresh eggs this weekend.

The biscuit in that pic actually looks pretty good. Everything else...

I had horse meat sausage/cold cuts in Belgium along side more typical pork varieties. The horse was not bad, but I preferred the pork. Alligator does taste a bit like rather chewy chicken. It can be a bit tough if not prepared properly. It tends to take on the flavor of whatever you season it it with. Frog legs tasted like VERY mildly fishy chicken, but with a finer texture maybe like quail. As for tuna, i cannot say one way or another as to the aging of bluefin, but the one thing about bluefin is that it travels well so you can age it. The other tunas, not so much. Fresh yellowfin tastes very good raw even if it is not "sashimi" grade. I am told that the lower grade stuff with degrade faster. Our most common true tuna here in Florida is the blackfin which tends to top out in the 35 pound range and is VERY good as long as you eat it within say 72 hours even with freezing. It starts to degrade very quickly and I suspect that is why it is not a commercially exploited species. It is the only true tuna that is not heavily protected and regulated in the US. If you go places like Key West and especially around Cancun during the right time of the year, they are like a plague upon the ocean and very easy to catch as they are aggressive feeders like their larger brethren.
As for me, i want to try Kobe beef, moose and goose. I would also like to try some more exotic game dishes, especially stuff like eland. I have had nilgai and it was damn good, like elk. I have also eaten sea turtle in Cuba but it was prepared as a palomilla steak heavily soaked in mojo criollo so it didn't really taste much different than the beef version of that dish. I should also endeavor to try more ugly fish. Some of the fish that you would NEVER want your dinner guests or customers to see whole are some of the best tasting, like hogfish and tilefish. Sheepshead are ugly little spuds too and damn hard to clean especially considering the paltry amount of meat you get, but they are yummy.

The biscuit in that pic actually looks pretty good. Everything else...

The sausage is about as fresh as you can get though, from a local slaughter house a few miles down the street. Not sure if the gravy is home made, I doubt it, but there are nice large chunks of the same sausage in the gravy.

-AJ

Back