Are there differences between the JNS Red Aoto (Atagoyama) and other Red and Blue Aoto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagrangeL2

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

JNS just posted some "red aoto" (Atagoyama) and I was wondering if there was a difference between them and Aoto from other vendors (Watanabe, Aframes, etc). They may be from different layers or mines, but do they create effects, feel different, are they faster, etc?

Similarly, do they create a different effect, etc from Blue Aoto?

Lastly, were they worth the 317$ price tag?

I have one of the red aoto and it is a mud canon that leaves a nice contrast. Very good pre polisher, mud feels like wet clay.

The two Atagoyamas i have are very different: one is softer (lvl 3) and fine; the other harder and finer. None of them are very muddy (like a muddy aoto), but the softer one can be if one uses a diamond plate on it.

Maaaan I wanted one red. If that was so fast than he have to bring more.

I have a red aoto, and its my fave stone for finishing double bevels.

Those went fast... did Maksim shoot an email before putting them up on the website?

Also, do red aotos work well for both sharpening and polishing, or are they more suited to one or the other?

As usual - the email comes out minutes or hours after actual posting. He likes playing tricks...

Were a couple left when I looked, guess I shouldn't have wavered. :(

Has anyone matched them up against red and blue Aotos?

It's amazing.. mine had chips on the edges and the surface was quite rough. After some flattening and finishing off with an atoma 1200 it feels smooth and buttery. It cuts fast for a muddy stone and leaves beautiful uniform streaks on jigane. Nothing harsh on the finish, perfect for a suita finish afterwards or something even finer. Pics soon to come once I get some sun and time out of the kitchen.

It is a gorgeous stone and adds to my collection in a vital way. I really needed something to follow my rather hard binsui.. It keeps a semi-mirror finish on hagane when digressing grit from suita or similar grit too, which was pleasing.

Back