Aritsugu carbon line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with aritsugu carbon lineup? Looking into the misono dragon level beater horse, this looks like a decent enough contender, curious if the grind has any shape.

to that effect, what’s your favorite western?

I liked Jon's Kagero (iirc...the pm steel knife). Not sure if the Aritsuga are like the old A types (like 90/10 asym) which wasn't all that great in my recollection.

The A-type is a beast. But to make it sing, ya gotta thin it bhe which can be a pita, but once done- they slay.

Also a contender in that dept are the old bolstered Masamoto, can usually find them second hand on auction sites. If you’re lucky enough to get the older carbon ones and have time for a rehab, they can pretty easily perform with the best of anything out there now. Quick steel to refresh the edge and Bob’s your uncle.

The older Masamoto's had thinner grinds and distal taper. 1990s on less so on both accounts.

Only Aritsugu I had was yanagiba blue blue steel nice blade.

To clarify I’m talking about the western handle aritsugu, and it’s equivalent friends in the sub $200 category 240 gyutos. ie. misono dragon and the like.
Speaking of dragon, does anyone have photo of the right side blade of a thinned dragon with a straight edge showing the grind?

To clarify I’m talking about the western handle aritsugu, and it’s equivalent friends in the sub $200 category 240 gyutos. ie. misono dragon and the like.
Speaking of dragon, does anyone have photo of the right side blade of a thinned dragon with a straight edge showing the grind?

To reiterate, all the ones I was talking about are westerns as well.

Sure, I’ll snap a couple when I get home.

In the meantime have a look for vintage carbon Masamoto on the auctions. You won’t be disappointed if you can get a clean one with a decent full tang that’s not rusted.

IMG_0415.jpg

Here’s a 330 that my buddies helped me procure, rehab, and get back on the road FYI, all for about 100$ and some blood sweat and tears.

Yeah I saw that, great price btw. It may not reflect what the gyuto is like but do you mind taking a photo?

IMG_3108.jpg
IMG_3109.jpg

These things are already super thin, but you can see how a thinning would make them scalpels. This one I had begun thinning, but from the heel shot you can see something closer to the original geometry. Most the guys I knew that used these in Japan threw a single bevel on them and just punished them.

Anyone have experience with aritsugu carbon lineup? Looking into the misono dragon level beater horse, this looks like a decent enough contender, curious if the grind has any shape.

to that effect, what’s your favorite western?
the misono is affordable and the Swedish carbon steel is easy to sharpen and stays Sharpe for a while for me. i have the 195mm gyuto

I do love the Misono Swedish a lot, but the factory edge is overly convexed by buffering. Needs a little work to get it right. F&F are splendid, and QC very serious. Have yet to see a new Misono with any flaw, which is amazing at this price point.
Another contender is the Masahiro VC. Even more asymmetric that the Misono, harder steel, F&F less refined but OK.
Very nice and more substantial: Suien VC gyuto in blue#2. Can use some thinning behind the edge. Strongly asymmetric as well. Remarkable edge retention, even under harsh circumstances.
On a side note: the Misono and Masahiro are easily available with an inverted geometry for left-handed. Left face convexed, right one flat, edge off-centered to the right.

Last edited:
The right face is clearly convexed, and beefier in the first section. Choil photos don't do justice. The distal taper isn't so much in the spine, more in the grinding.

Back