Atagoyama - What have I got?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I purchased the Atagoyama a few years ago on this forum from a member that's no longer active. It's very fine, does not slurry well, I've tried it as a finisher but don't get a lot out of it. Is it me or the stone?

I think so but don't recall results. It''s been in storage awhile and I came across it during some cleanup - just wondering what the potential is.

Stones from Atago, from my experience and what merchants tends to say in Japan, is slightly on the harder side and does not release too much slurry. It's usually used to sharpen straight razors without nagura stones, but can be used to sharpen other carbon steel items like chisels and plane blades. If you can show me a picture I might be able to give you bit more information.

Or atoma the bejesus out of it and start behind the edge to get it started

Or atoma the bejesus out of it and start behind the edge to get it started

I concur. I have a few stones (a freakishly hard binsui for example) that needs a good scrub down with an atoma before it is used. Without the atoma it is not a great stone, maybe not even a good stone--lol but after the atoma it is a wonderful stone!

First image is clean stone with 270 suji for scale. 2nd is carbon suji after aizu then Atagoyama and the ata. Worked it with a small diamond stone to bring up slurry, There is some discoloration in the swarf, a little brighter edge and maybe a little discernible difference in sharpness. In use it feels harder, finer, than Takashima or Oouchi.

Is this a stone better suited to bringing out contrast? Wondering if it's a keeper.

20190309_103149.jpg

atagoyma w Marko suji.jpg

Like Badgertooth said, try using it to thin the knife . . . which works with clad knives, really. This is to I guess to wake up the cutting ability of the stone. For some reason, the free iron particles then bash into the embedded grit and make it faster cutting, or something like that.

Otherwise, yeah, if cutting speed is low, it is a super final finisher if you're careful, but otherwise super great at polishing, because the scratches it forms are so gentle.

Honestly, I haven't had a polishing stone yet . . . except maybe Tsushima, but that still cuts fast enough to feel a difference. Even using a knife on a razor stone, and hard razor stones too, I can feel a discernable difference in sharpness, but that's me (and it isn't worth it, I stop at tool stones).

Stone is probably a step finer than Takashima or Oouchi that are are typically very soft. Depending on preference for edge it could be final finisher, or you could strop on it after aizu for some nasty edges. It's likely to be a decent polisher for clad knives if it's clean.

Looks like a pretty standard Atago to me. I'm assuming it wasn't crazy expensive? I've found working up a slurry with diamond plate is a bit more effective than using a nagura stone (unless people are using nagura to mean diamond plate) on atago. I'd be surprised if it's anywhere near a similar hardness (or softness, rather) as a taka or oouchi, as most of those I've used can be scratched with a finger nail. There are just some stones that simply aren't going to be very fast no matter how much you try and get it to be, and 'newer' atago stones often fall into that category. Honestly if you want max effeciency, take your lowest grit diamond plate to it. I've never had problems with 'gouging' the stone from coarse diamond stones negatively affecting my edge. If you want to, you can follow that with a higher grit diamond plate. It's best served by using it for polishing or taking your hardest steel knives to a grit that's beyond practical.

+1 on the atoma. 600 is ideal for this. You should be feeling difference in speed and feedback with nice atoma mud. Also there is a possibility that stone surface might be clogged with something.

Looks like a small version of a huge atagoyama I got from maxim. Mine is smooth and hard. I use it with an asano nagura and it is great for a mirror polish. I do not use it to remove steel or raise a burr. it’s too hard. It’s always the last stone in my progression. Not my favorite stone, however, as I like a bit of bite. Too bad as the stone will certainly outlive my grandchildren! I do use it for the ura on my single bevels, as it is flat and doesn’t dish. I did flatten mine when I got it.

Also-the asano nagura creates a nice slurry. Mine is definitely harder and finer than my Hakka, ohira suitas, Takashima suitas, an hideriyama stones, all from maxim too.

Back