Atoma ¼ 400 or 600 as a genral lapping plate?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
I've been looking at the ¼ Atoma diamond stone and it looks like a very handy device with the plastic base that doubles as a handle. Which one would you go for to lap stones (or raise a slurry) ranging from a King 1200 to a jnat finisher, the 400 or 600? And it is actually large enough to flatten a 210x75mm stone with?

I think that such a plate would work great as a nagura to quickly make mud or to l clean loaded surface of a stone, but I think it would be hard to flatten a stone with such a small surface.

I can keep the King 1200 flat for a long time with the back of a chisel so I don't think the smaller size of this plate will be a problem for me.

I've ordered the 400. It seems the general consensus is that the 400 is the better choice over the 600 for lapping or creating a slurry.

I came across some (old) threads that discussed the 1/4 plates.
They seemed workable if you accept that the lifespan is short.

I've been looking at the ¼ Atoma diamond stone and it looks like a very handy device with the plastic base that doubles as a handle. Which one would you go for to lap stones (or raise a slurry) ranging from a King 1200 to a jnat finisher, the 400 or 600? And it is actually large enough to flatten a 210x75mm stone with?

I have the 400 and its much more effective than a dmt 325 at flattening stones. maybe 3-400% or so. but as for sharpening anything knife with it?? I dont think so. The dmt 325 will work for this though.

Look at the diamnond sharpening pregression on scienceofsharp blog.
https://scienceofsharp.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/the-diamond-plate-progression/ here

basically the higher grit you go up on dmts, the worse the edge gets. proven by scanning electron microscope!
and the atomas are even worse. the atomas are faster on stones though.

Personally I wouldnt bother with any diamond except the coarse 325 or atoma 400. they have their place, and that range is it!

I bought the Atoma 400 only for lapping stones or raising a slurry. Having said that, I really like the edge the Atoma 1200 puts on a knife.

bumping for any reviews on this little guy?
cheers

I bought a 1200 grit one off ebay after reading about pandas and i like it a lot better for raising slurry than the full sized plates.

I would also throw out there that the Atoma replacement pads/sheets are a good value. They are just the diamond pad without the metal backer. You can leave them whole or cut them to size with a hacksaw/metal bandsaw and attach them to a flattened and trued piece of wood. Asteger gave me the idea, though I'm sure its not new. I use a 2x2" block of worn 1200 to slurry my jnats.

I use DMT 325 lapping plate and like it, although I don't lap that often since I just sharpen razors mostly on my stones. I would recommend 600 and use sandpaper for start of major lapping, or 400 atoma if you only want to use the plate.

Back