Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the looks of it more than any of the Wats that are available right now as well.
He may actually be trolling with this latest batch. "If I make odd sizes with ugly KU that has areas that look like rust, and slap on the most gaudy handle material I can find, will people still buy them, just because they are Wat cleavers?"
*the current 250mm being the exception

Depends on which CCK, this is not as thin as 130x series, it’s a large slicer more like 1102, however I like it better than my CCK1302, cuts more effortlessly than a paper thin cleaver. This is thinner than Sugi, more of a Ginga cleaver territory.
Sorry I should have specified 1303. If it’s thinner than a Sugi then that’s interesting. I like the looks of it more than any of the Wats that are available right now as well. The profile also looks quite flat which I like. Are there any cleavers you know of that are the thinner side like a 130x/Wat?
1303 is as thin a knife can get, any thinner you are getting into flimsy territory. Wat is thicker than 1303. If you want really thin stuff consider a custom, Keskin did a ridiculously thin nakiri, Pig Iron Forge stuff is also quite thin.
https://kitchenknives.id/products/copy-of-bunka-170mm-migaki-jatiwood-rosewood-2

He may actually be trolling with this latest batch. "If I make odd sizes with ugly KU that has areas that look like rust, and slap on the most gaudy handle material I can find, will people still buy them, just because they are Wat cleavers?"
Yea I don’t get it. I’ve seen some examples of other batches that pop up on google images, and there wasn’t one that I didn’t like. It’s unfortunate that I only got into knives recently. I would have already purchased one if he had one that I liked. I’d kill to get the pink handled one. I messaged him directly and he won’t restock until this current batch sells out, which seems like never since they aren’t well liked.

The 250mm is right up my alley but I want a 210-220. I wonder if I could buy the 220 with the black handle and just remove the KU finish.

I've also never seen western handle scales installed so unevenly. And this is even considering all the TFs I've had.

1303 is as thin a knife can get, any thinner you are getting into flimsy territory. Wat is thicker than 1303. If you want really thin stuff consider a custom, Keskin did a ridiculously thin nakiri, Pig Iron Forge stuff is also quite thin.
https://kitchenknives.id/products/copy-of-bunka-170mm-migaki-jatiwood-rosewood-2
That looks pretty nice for that price. Is their quality control decent? I haven’t seen more than a handful of posts about them. For roughly $130 bucks shipped I might have to give it a shot anyway. Not as tall as I might like, but still quite tall at 78mm.

Depends on which CCK, this is not as thin as 130x series, it’s a large slicer more like 1102, however I like it better than my CCK1302, cuts more effortlessly than a paper thin cleaver. This is thinner than Sugi, more of a Ginga cleaver territory.
Sorry I should have specified 1303. If it’s thinner than a Sugi then that’s interesting. I like the looks of it more than any of the Wats that are available right now as well. The profile also looks quite flat which I like. Are there any cleavers you know of that are the thinner side like a 130x/Wat?

On cheap cleaver side, my Ho Ching Kee Lee is 1.7mm thick at heel. Didn’t see any other thinner than this (yet). It’s 206/90mm, 235g.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 5AE49592-76E5-48C8-987C-F99BC08C5143.png
    5AE49592-76E5-48C8-987C-F99BC08C5143.png
    457 KB · Views: 0
That looks pretty nice for that price. Is their quality control decent? I haven’t seen more than a handful of posts about them. For roughly $130 bucks shipped I might have to give it a shot anyway. Not as tall as I might like, but still quite tall at 78mm.

The Keskin line is pretty good and I don't know of any honyaki blades for close to the price. I have noticed some of the wa handles have no taper and one that felt thicker towards the front, but the western handles are really nice. Delivery time can be long, but I've found them great to work with on multiple orders including some custom requests.

The Keskin line is pretty good and I don't know of any honyaki blades for close to the price. I have noticed some of the wa handles have no taper and one that felt thicker towards the front, but the western handles are really nice. Delivery time can be long, but I've found them great to work with on multiple orders including some custom requests.
Thanks for the info. I actually just gave in and put a deposit down for a Pig Iron Forge custom cleaver. Now for the long 4-5 month wait. I might still order a Keskin in the meantime to test the waters.

Just received a Tsourkan gyuto from Tyler, a resale.
It makes want to dispose of my 190 and 210 Denkas. Yes they cut unbelievably, but if you care about good industrial design and execution of that design,- they are not worth the money, even if one can afford it. I don’t know what the original price of this Tsourkan was, but it is the nicest knife in my oversized collection. It is my reach for it knife out of the drawer.

I SAW THAT ON INSTAGRAM

I call dibs
Alright, noted you got dibs

So, I've been toying with the idea of getting a custom cleaver for a bit. I've mostly been considering trying Hyde, Markin, or Porto; but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or input?

Been eyeing those for a while. I believe the virgin carbon is supposed to be a very hard blue 2. Unfortunately, it’s way too heavy, basically #7 territory even though it looks pretty thin BTE. I would have to send it to a custom maker or knife store/service that could shave off at least 100 grams which I’m assuming would be pricy on top of the already $600+ price tag.

15 years old, but I like this video of it alongside a Moritaka cleaver.

I've wondered about these. Anyone try one? They also have a few others available.

Chinese Style Cleaver N0600 Thin Type.

I love my Togashi cleaver and have heard good things about the Kikumori. If these are a similar Sakai made cleaver then they look like great value.

Why does seemingly no one make a cleaver with an attractive handle considering how difficult it is to rehandle one?
I would guess because Chinese cleavers are usually seen as relatively cheap, utilitarian, working knives. Most Chinese and Japanese makers would assume the cleavers they make are probably going to get the crap beaten out of them, likely in a working kitchen, so why make them fancy and more expensive? You can put nice handles with rare woods and shiny spacers on single bevel knives that get used in front of customers at a sushi restaurant, but most Chinese cleavers don’t make it out to the front of the house.

Why does seemingly no one make a cleaver with an attractive handle considering how difficult it is to rehandle one?
I’m hoping to get on Hyde’s list next year and get a fancied up CCK. Big fat handle and all.

I've tried a number of the various Sakai brand chukas with western handles and I really have not found one that even sorta feels good to me. They all are too tall and narrow. It's the main reason why I don't already own a denka cleaver. So with Japanese-made Chinese cleavers, I tend to go with wa handles so at least I can modify it or replace with my own.

That being said, I would love one of these

Those do look good. Do they come in 200-210? :(

I can see your logic in the BoH/FoH. It's just that there are so so many good-looking regular knives it's kind of baffling that no one (not many) has/have taken it upon themselves to make a "showy" cleaver. I just said to hell with it and hopped on a custom list. Can't wait to see how it turns out in a few months.

Those do look good. Do they come in 200-210? :(

I can see your logic in the BoH/FoH. It's just that there are so so many good-looking regular knives it's kind of baffling that no one (not many) has/have taken it upon themselves to make a "showy" cleaver. I just said to hell with it and hopped on a custom list. Can't wait to see how it turns out in a few months.
I’ve only seen a small size of the Nakagawa cleaver. Besides custom makers, the only Japanese maker I know off the top of my head making cleavers with really “showy” handles is Takeshi Saji out of Echizen (and maybe Yu Kurosaki). One of his Damascus cleavers with ironwood handle will run you about a grand though. Here’s a video of a guy using one at a more upscale joint.

Back