Best Carbon Steel frying pan brand to make eggs in?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technique matters so much more than the pan.

^ this. really.

for cooking eggs, the only pan that defies even good technique is a worn out teflon.
i make omelette daily in a stainless skillet, every other day in a carbon pan, and weekly in cast iron.

it doenst turn to goo, but it does look awful. I can confirm this, first hand.

That's why I like the Mineral B Pro. Oven proof.

can't go wrong with the mineral b, but personally i usually buy the carbonne plus. i find them easier to break in. i use at least one of them in the oven regularly, and the handle hasn't turned into anything that disturbs me. ymmw.

^ this. really.

for cooking eggs, the only pan that defies even good technique is a worn out teflon.
i make omelette daily in a stainless skillet, every other day in a carbon pan, and weekly in cast iron.

can't go wrong with the mineral b, but personally i usually buy the carbonne plus. i find them easier to break in. i use at least one of them in the oven regularly, and the handle hasn't turned into anything that disturbs me. ymmw.

I put mine in my outdoor bbq grill and set it on high. I think it got to 700 according to the crappy grill thermometer. I was doing a tuna steak sear, and need the heat. the handle hated it. but I seriously don't worry about the aesthetics of my pan. not that one.

Since i got rid of all my teflon coated pans, i'm looking for a pan to make eggs in. I live by myself so i only make 2 eggs at most at a time. Sometimes just 1 egg.
I heard Carbon Steel is the best type of pans for this since it stays seasoned. But what brand can you recommend? And what size?
I saw Mauviel scored high in some reviews and they have an 8 inch and a 4.7 inch pan.

Or do you recommend Cast Iron for eggs? Some people online recommend Japanese Cast Iron for eggs. Although i don't know what brand.

Ps: I always make my eggs with as little butter as possible, to reduce excess calories. Can i cook eggs on a carbon steel/cast iron with minimal butter or does it need to be a lot to prevent sticking?
If it needs a lot, perhaps going for the smaller 4.7 inch pan is better and then simply cook an egg twice? Not sure if 8 inch is too big.
I did the same thing as you about 2 years ago. I always cooked eggs on plastic coatings that later turned out to be highly toxic. The current crop of PTFE coatings are supposed to be safe, but I just don't trust the regulators anymore.

I've found that you just can't cook in other pans like you can on Teflon. You do need to learn to use cooking oil. It will probably look like more oil than you're used to, but it really is needed. There is no such thing as a truly non-stick cast iron or carbon steel pan. I don't care how many 100s of years' worth of seasoning it has on it, if you mess up the heat or use zero oil, eggs can easily stick to it. I look at oil as a cooking tool, just as essential as the pan. You may find that the techniques you use with Teflon pans are no longer applicable with carbon steel pans. Preheating the pan, preheating the oil separately, and using proper heat management are essential - more important than any benefit of the seasoning. As proof of this, I have personally gravitated to stainless, both for eggs and for all-around use. I think the main reason carbon steel and cast iron pans have been traditionally seasoned is to reduce propensity to rust and reduce reactivity of the iron with your food, rather than making them non-stick. In my opinion, eggs can be effectively cooked in stainless, and stainless pans are both more versatile and easier to clean than carbon steel.

Last edited:
Back