Best Chef Knife for around $300-$350

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big plus to JCK for inexpensive flashy knives.

A big plus to JCK for inexpensive flashy knives.

JCK? Is there a website I can look into...? I searched Devin Thomas and his cheaper stuff definitely qualifies for what I find aesthetically pleasing...but I only found limited "sold out" stuff, a better website to check out would be lovely.

Your edit link is my favorite Damascus of all. Devin Thomas feather. Salty has a scimitar in that. it is quite a sight.
Anything in Devin Thomas feather is amazing.

I'm new to the J knife world - not long ago I thought kitchen knives came from either Soligen or Wally Mart. And I've nothing ill to say about Shun.

That being said I'll suggest that the "wavy" pattern on the shun is the metal equivalent of silk screening or laminate. It is not an integral part of the blade and by no stretch is it damascus. And that the first time that shiny knife hits a sharpening steel or whet stone it will look like its been dragged behind a truck. Would you rather have a solid teak chair or one made of particle board with a sexy veneer?

Jon has helped me spend some money wisely and talked me out of spending some as well. He's well recommended.

Regards,

Dave

I'm new to the J knife world - not long ago I thought kitchen knives came from either Soligen or Wally Mart. And I've nothing ill to say about Shun.

That being said I'll suggest that the "wavy" pattern on the shun is the metal equivalent of silk screening or laminate. It is not an integral part of the blade and by no stretch is it damascus. And that the first time that shiny knife hits a sharpening steel or whet stone it will look like its been dragged behind a truck. Would you rather have a solid teak chair or one made of particle board with a sexy veneer?

Jon has helped me spend some money wisely and talked me out of spending some as well. He's well recommended.

Regards,

Dave

It doesn't go all the way through...? silk screening?

You're saying that its just printed on the blade, done as an after thought for aesthetic value in Shun's case?

Well, if someone can confirm this....it would be very sad for Shun indeed... I wouldn't have ever gotten any of the Shun VG-10 knives, as my Calphalon Katanas are already VG-10 with fake damascus patterns on it.

You've already sold me on not getting a Shun, but is this also the case with the other lower end knives out there? I was liking the look of the Asai "damascus" knives on EpicEdge, but that initial attraction would be destroyed if that was also the case...

Just to add some personal thoughts on this as well. At your price budget, I would say go with the less flashy knife at first. I bought a lot of crap first because it was flashy and I liked it, but the first time I actually got a knife that truly cut well, I felt something akin to a tingling feeling in my pants. If the gratification of that starts to fade, you can always upgrade the handle to a flashy burl figured one that will not disappoint. Then, since you'll have a great performing knife, you'll be able to save even more money for your next, and you won't have to compromise on anything. You'll be able to afford a Devin Thomas, Bill Burke, Michael Rader, Randy Haas, Delbert Ealy, or Pierre Rodrigue when the time comes, and you'll have saved a couple hundred bucks by not trying to get blingy the first go around. And just for fun, browse the knife gear galleries to see what others have gotten, you'll get a better idea of what's actually possible in a custom.

And just for fun, browse the knife gear galleries to see what others have gotten, you'll get a better idea of what's actually possible in a custom.

Absolutely.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/72-Knife-amp-Gear-Galleries

I don't think you'll see too many Fujis in the gallery, and it's not because the members are unwilling or unable to spend the money for one.

And remember, you can always have a custom handle put on a "plain" blade to make it truly unique (there are a number of highly skilled handle makers on the forum).

At the price range you're looking at, almost all "damascus" knives are damascus clad. It's just pretty steel on top of the core steel that's the actual cutting steel.

Just call the store before you go. Jon is usually there on Sundays. Tomorrow may be an exception because today's his birthday. But, knowing him, he'll be there.

As for getting a honyaki, I would recommend looking at that way down the road. They require a lot of care - especially if you want to keep the mirror polish on them - and you will probably kill yourself if you happen to have it stolen. Things like that happen in kitchens. All of the sushi chefs that I go to here in the LA leave their nice knives at home. They use Masamotos, Ichimonji and other lower grade knives at work and they all say the same basically the same thing: "Anything can happen at work." I only know one sushi chef, who's in Gardena, who uses something close to a honyaki - a Nenohi yanagiba. But, he works by himself with his wife.

Jon has a wide variety of knives. If you want to go with a Gengetsu - go for it. It looks like it's a kick ass knife and serious users have really praised its cutting ability. But, as I've learned, taking "care" of knives, especially Japanese knives, means knowing how to sharpen them correctly. How it looks, what it cost, won't translate into better performance if you don't know how to sharpen it. And there's a ton to learn about sharpening. I probably spend more time talking with Jon about sharpening and stones than knives.

"Anything can happen at work." I only know one sushi chef, who's in Gardena, who uses something close to a honyaki - a Nenohi yanagiba. But, he works by himself with his wife.

Thankfully I'm a web developer, I don't really have to worry about my co-workers taking my stuff, and my knives stay at home anyway.

Definitely WAY down the line on the honyaki...

I'll ring him when I'm on my way to Venice, I'm going there for other reasons anyway so if he's closed it's not that huge of a deal... I'm thinking that what I might to while I'm there is pickup a cheaper (under $200) yanigaba that is super high maintenance just to learn for now... maybe buy something in the $700-$1000 "custom" range around Christmas.

kind of a 'jump right in'...'crash course' kind of a....mixed metaphor...thing...

Cool, make sure and report back if you find something you like!

Yes, the Gengetsu is light years better than any Shun at 60% of the "retail price."
In fact, we could provide pages of suggestions that are better than a Shun Fuji for less money.
If you asked for a list of knives better than the Gengetsu, for less money, it would be short - if not blank.

No offense, as we were all new once... But your perspective is all messed up right now, skewed by years of marketing BS.
Jon will fix you up. The best thing you can do is go in with an open mind and trust his advice.
He has talked me, and others here out of large purchases from his store because he didn't think it was a right fit. He is one of those rare people that really will send you, and all your money, down the road if he thinks it's in your best interest. So don't feel anything he tells you is "pitch," he's not selling cars, but he is selling some of the best J-knives made.

Go in, handle some sweet knives, and gain some wisdom. Buy nothing, buy everything, whatever.
(don't buy that 240 mm Damascus Heiji gyuto though, I'm savin my pennies)

Oh, and welcome to the Knife Knut House!
Careful, this place is real bad for your wallet...

Welcome to the forum, and you have been bit badly. It is a good thing you really have not bought your gateway kitchen knife. Next month you will go check out a shun and be disappointed, and very glad at the same time.

i'll be there tomorrow.... just might be 10 lbs heavier... just got home from an almost 4 hour dinner... in pain

Love how its 4am on the East Coast and Jon is till awake and on the forums!

TheAndre, I am a Microtech fan myself!! I went with the manual actions though; Mini Socom, Socom Elite Prototype, LCC, Vector. The Halo's have always appealed to me, but I couldn't justify that much for a knife I couldn't carry on my person.

Like was mentioned, you can always get the handle upgraded to add some flash. There are 2 types of damascus blades generally. The 'Real' Damascus where the guys forge different steels together and the stuff that is basically layers of steel forge welded onto a core of solid steel so you see the layers on the side, but not really a pattern per say, just layers. This style is most common with Vg-10 or VG-1 core steels. Some of the guys here do a solid core steel with real damascus on the outside as well. I would go for a simpler looking blade with good steel and then get it re handled down the road instead of going for a blinged out blade in a clad damascus with an average quality core steel.

Jon will steer you right! He spent a lot of time with me via PM's when I was trying to decide on a Sujihiki. He really understands how the different brands of knives vary and will help you find what will work best for you!

Dude...you want a great Japanese knife, have the money to buy one, and that's about it. JKI is your candy store.

You'd be nuts to miss out on it. If I lived in CA I would be in that shop weekly.

Dude...you want a great Japanese knife, have the money to buy one, and that's about it. JKI is your candy store.

You'd be nuts to miss out on it. If I lived in CA I would be in that shop weekly.
Yeah it's really not fair that they get Disneyland AND Japanese Knife Imports!

As for aesthetics, the more time you spend here, the more you will appreciate the beauty of a "simpler" handmade knife and less and less you will be attracted to factory beauty queens.

Agreed 100%

With all of the noobs coming and going over the years (ourselves included at some point), there almost always seems to be a tipping point where it clicks and they 'get it'...all of a sudden, many of the knives they used to lust after thinking they were BMW and Audis now look like Honda Civics with mismatched ground effects, huge wings and fart-can exhaust.

Agreed 100%

With all of the noobs coming and going over the years (ourselves included at some point), there almost always seems to be a tipping point where it clicks and they 'get it'...all of a sudden, many of the knives they used to lust after thinking they were BMW and Audis now look like Honda Civics with mismatched ground effects, huge wings and fart-can exhaust.

+1

Agreed 100%

hah, I've always been more of a Lotus man myself... I get the point though, when I started the thread I was more mixed about whether or not the Shun Fuji Chef knife at $480, bought at auction for $300, was a better deal than buying a $300 japanese blade at retail.

You've all sold me, and I will do my best to educate myself further on the matter. I don't like to skimp on quality...

I'll be hitting up JKI around 12-1 or so. I think this might be my starter right here:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ba/gesshin-uraku-270mm-white-2-yanagiba.html#

but... I could be wrong, it happens.

Not a bad way to go. Just think... With all that money you saved you could buy another knife!

And another... and another... And another

And so it goes; down the rabbit hole, lol.

Yes, that is gorgeous. But...what are we talking here? $2000? $3000? $10,000? more? I'm trying to be vaguely responsible here, I'm only 24....that can come when I've actually established my career.

Buy it now: 15k
Order and get in years 5,6k

Not a bad way to go. Just think... With all that money you saved you could buy another knife!

And another... and another... And another

And so it goes; down the rabbit hole, lol.

Idk about getting another knife with the $70 or so I save after tax,....but some sort of moderately high quality whetstone, perhaps.

Back