best value (but still great quality) 400/1000 stone combo for beginner?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canali

Reaction score
hi again, gang:

newbie to sharpening and new member here (took 2 hr course),
bought a 220 in house stone,
naniwa pro 1000 and 3000 stones with 2000 'green brick of joy')
have wusthof and mac mth 80 knives
...am buying 2nd hand cheap knives from thrift shops to soon begin to practice on.

question:
if in my position (a totally green newbie)
would you 'save the better naniwa professional stones i currently have until a bit later on when my skills are more refined, and instead get some cheaper 400/1000 or 600/1000 dual sided stone for those cheaper knives I'm getting from the 2nd hand shops?

or just use the stones i have? maybe get a 400 or 600?
(btw, too much of a jump from 220 to 1000, maybe get a 400 or 600?)

if i were to get cheaper combo stone, are there any affordable but very good bang for buck combos you recommend?
i do often see the king 1000/6000 stone but i don't need that 6000 grit.

i do know knife planet has a nice kit now again available here in Canada:
https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Knife-Sh ... +stone+set

but there are so many: sentima, suehiro, sharp pebble, etc
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LVZ2OZU/?co ... _lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.ca/Whetstone-Sharpen ... d_wg=NZp43

thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, were it me I would just use what was already bought. I see no reason to buy and use a setup that is likely inferior to what you already have. I don't believe in the idea of "starter stones". That is to say, not intentionally.

Now, that is not to say that those stones are not usable, because they are but that is beside the point. Why spend more money when you don't need to?

That said, you should be able to practice on that Mac just fine. It will take a fair edge and hold it decently. You can get something else if you want to but I keep a Mac, that I got at a secondhand shop, around for loaning out. It sharpens up easily and unless it is overly abused and thick behind the edge you should be able to get away with the 1k and 3k naniwa pros and get a hell of an edge.

However, if you do go looking for practice knives at a thrift shop my suggestion is to look for carbon first and if that does not pan out look for old knives that are stamped "Japan". I have got a few mystery stainless knives from Japan at thrift shops and yard sales for relatives that I know will beat them to death and they are great for what they are. Harder than period specific stainless from other regions and easier sharpen, rather deburr.

Otherwise things like Tojiro Shirogami are cheap and take an edge easily. Good for sharpening practice.

Just a thought.

I don't suggest "starter" stones or "practice" knives. At the end of the day you're rubbing a piece of steel on a rock. You would have to do something very wrong, for a long time, with a lot of pressure to mess up anything.

If you gotta go practice knife, look for a Forgie. Yr stones are fine. Once you know them you may want something different.

yes i have a wusthof..(forged knife... that is what you meant?)
...but what is a Yr stone (sorry!)

Forgie, an American made, early 60s, carbon knife. Sharpens readily, cheap, will have a decent knife with some love.

Yr, your stones

lol..i used to be, before adding some girth...aside from Zegna, Canali was one of my fav labels
hence using the name.:cool:

Back