New Member - Jumping Down the Rabbit Hole - Stone Question?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario Cirignani

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new member. My wife is a chef and while her work knives are sharpened professionally, I try to keep knives at home sharp. I currently use a Work Sharp system but am not thrilled with the results. I was gifted a set of Shapton glass stones and am making the jump. I will post a question in another forum, but if you read this and have an opinion, please volunteer one. The Shapton glass stone set I was gifted includes 500/2000/16000 stones. I'm not certain that this progression is ideal for my purpose. In watching some tutorials I see people going from 220 to 1000 to 3000. Do I need to buy additional stones or can I go from 500 to 2000? (I don't see me using the 16,000 unless advised). So, in sum, I look forward to exploring the group's offerings and would love any opinion on whether a 500 to 2,000 Shapton stone will suffice or do I need to buy a 1000 and 3000. Thank you.

Welcome to the forums, Mario.

Since this is a very specific question, I am moving your thread to a sharpening subforum.

Let me start with my take on this.
- Indeed, you will most likely not have a use for the 16.000 grit stone - that would be something for a straight razor. So just put it aside for now
- 500 and 2000 Shapton Glass stones are actually very good and make for a great combination. Only once you learn how to use them efficiently and shall you feel the need for a finer stone, then start to look for something the 4000 - 6000 range (Shapton Glass or others).
- I am going to assume that since you got 3 stones, you also got the dedicated stone base from Shapton. If not, consider getting one as these stones are very thing and may not be so easy to use on a conventional base (though not impossible).
- Shall you need a coarser stone than the 500, then I would recommend to get something like Bester 220. It is very similar to the 220 Shapton Glass, but for basically the same price you get a LOT more stone.

Yeah, the 500 and 2000 are a great combo for kitchen knives. You don’t really need any more than that. On soft stainless I’ll often just use the 500, maybe just a few strops on the 2000 to finish.

I also advocate you can jump from 500 to 2000

I have bought 3 Shapton Glass 500s and 2 2ks. The only synthetics I have bought multiples of on purpose.

The next stone you buy should be an Atoma 140 to flatten the Shaptons.
I'd go with an Atoma 140 not a 400. You can get a 400 later if you want.

It will also serve, in a pinch, to renovate any of your knives that need reprofiling, chip repair, thinning, etc.

Look! It’s the same kit!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, Mario.

Since this is a very specific question, I am moving your thread to a sharpening subforum.

Let me start with my take on this.
- Indeed, you will most likely not have a use for the 16.000 grit stone - that would be something for a straight razor. So just put it aside for now
- 500 and 2000 Shapton Glass stones are actually very good and make for a great combination. Only once you learn how to use them efficiently and shall you feel the need for a finer stone, then start to look for something the 4000 - 6000 range (Shapton Glass or others).
- I am going to assume that since you got 3 stones, you also got the dedicated stone base from Shapton. If not, consider getting one as these stones are very thing and may not be so easy to use on a conventional base (though not impossible).
- Shall you need a coarser stone than the 500, then I would recommend to get something like Bester 220. It is very similar to the 220 Shapton Glass, but for basically the same price you get a LOT more stone.
I cannot thank you enough. That is the answer I was hoping for. I look forward to absorbing as much as I can from the group and, hope fully one day contributing. Thank you!

Yeah, the 500 and 2000 are a great combo for kitchen knives. You don’t really need any more than that. On soft stainless I’ll often just use the 500, maybe just a few strops on the 2000 to finish.
Thank you! Love hearing I am good to go on stones.

Oh, you'll never be finished buying stones...
I sharpen at a farmers market and depending on the knife (or edge damage) use a 320 shapton glass, 700 ceramic and a 1000 shapton ceramic. If they have a high end blade I may use a 1500 ceramic but usually the 1000 is good enough, and then strop with a diamond polish. At home I have various 220-1800 water stones with a combo 1000/4000 that I normally use after reprofiling a broken blade. For my own kitchen knives, I usually use a handheld 300/600 diamond then a steel, and maybe a couple of times a year redo them completely. I do have a 5k, 10k and razor hone but only use them on razors or very high end stuff.
Good luck :-D

Latest posts

Back