Between these two Tojiro, which would you choose?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa! That Gyuto Kouruchi is a thing of beauty! Unfortunately though, out of my price range right now, but in the future (hopefully!) perhaps.
I bookmarked their site. Thanks for the tip!

bQhJMyG.jpg

Oh, I have a lot of beaters already... Though of those the Ikons are my current dandies. And in all honesty, work VERY well, since I keep them hair-splitting sharp. Though I do have to hon/strop them after every single use. I want a Japanese knife specifically for the hardness.

As a rule of thumb, a custom made blade here is exponentially more expensive then either one of these two. A custom would be fantastic, but out of my reach at the moment.

😭😭😭

if you’re worried about scratches, I would suggest to tape off that magnetic rack, it WILL scratch your blades eventually... ;-)

I would suggest to tape off that magnetic rack, it WILL scratch your blades eventually
Though only I use those blades, and I'm always very careful while taking them off and putting them on, that does bother me indeed. The first thing I thought about was exactly putting tape over it, but I haven't found yet a thin enough sticky tape for the job. I would love to have one of those wooden racks, but I haven't found one long enough. But yes, something has to be done there...

You can get an Tojiro, or an Yoshimi Kato, Yu Kurosaki, from Alexandre @afiacaodefacas
Any idea of price range?

Have you considered getting an FKM from JCK? Their international shipping is very good and will reach almost everywhere.

He's in Brazil. They have high import fees.

So I know that the import fees from JCK to the UK are nil currently, despite being well over the limit, due to the shipping being $10, and it being DHL express (and I'm not sure if they write the full value of the item on the package). Not sure how it works in Brazil.

Unfortunately, DHL packages always receive special attention from the fine folks at Customs :rolleyes:. Basically, it will be taxed, and if the Customs officer thinks that the value on the label is not adequate for the described product, he will issue a "correct value" on his accord. Of course I can dispute that later, but it takes 30 to 45 days for the issue to be resolved.

Trust me, the hassle is not worth it.

Unfortunately, DHL packages always receive special attention from the fine folks at Customs :rolleyes:. Basically, it will be taxed, and if the Customs officer thinks that the value on the label is not adequate for the described product, he will issue a "correct value" on his accord. Of course I can dispute that later, but it takes 30 to 45 days for the issue to be resolved.

Trust me, the hassle is not worth it.

Good to know, thanks

Though only I use those blades, and I'm always very careful while taking them off and putting them on, that does bother me indeed. The first thing I thought about was exactly putting tape over it, but I haven't found yet a thin enough sticky tape for the job. I would love to have one of those wooden racks, but I haven't found one long enough. But yes, something has to be done there...

Any idea of price range?

Tojiro DP might cost around R$ 700 (USD$ 125,00)
Yu Kurosaki around R$ 1.800,00 (USD$ 320,00)

Have to ask Alexandre which one He has available at the moment

Oh boy, that's doable! 😁
I'll have to message him. Thanks once again!

Back