Blending Salsas.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I don’t make a lot of salsas with my blender. Today I did. Charred the Ingres didn’t s on my wok burner.

Then let them rest and stream. Peel. Blend.

It taste great, but is always so frothy. Okay. Foamy.

Just let it settle out? Or use a food processor?

Pro tips?

only do pulse

+1

I make a lot of salsa's and generally use a food processor but also only by pulsing although you can blend/puree the tomatoes / tomatillo's (if using) first then pulse the other additions (depending upon the end consistency you are looking for). By buzzing the tomatoes/tomatillo's first you help release more pectin which will help thicken the salsa (attain - if that is what your are going for) … FYI - after it is refrigerated just stir to break it down into a better consistency before serving (or heat).

+1

I make a lot of salsa's and generally use a food processor but also only by pulsing although you can blend/puree the tomatoes / tomatillo's (if using) first then pulse the other additions (depending upon the end consistency you are looking for). By buzzing the tomatoes/tomatillo's first you help release more pectin which will help thicken the salsa (attain - if that is what your are going for) … FYI - after it is refrigerated just stir to break it down into a better consistency before serving (or heat).

+1 I use the small hand blender/“food processor” attachment for salsa sometimes because it’s less powerful so there’s more control than blender/food processor.

+1 I use the small hand blender/“food processor” attachment for salsa sometimes because it’s less powerful so there’s more control than blender/food processor.

Good point rstl87 - I like use that as well and agree with the control point. I find (for me) certain items need to be minced vs diced (small & med as well). The hand blender is a good way ... all depends on what the final product is to be. The only point would be that you can't go backwards after additions of course - each next pulse makes the first smaller/smaller ... I generally fold in chopped herbs so they a better size/shape as well. For me almost all fruit based salsa's are done with a knife alone for this reason ...

You can add an oil to help keep proteins from creating bubbles, oil will also help transport fat soluble flavors and/or use a vacuum seal on it. Creating a vacuum in a fixed container will allow the air bubbles to bubble out. You can also vacuum out air from most puree's (spinach, sweet potato, custards, etc.)

Not to be that guy but I'm also pretty 100% sure salsas, chutneys, pestos and things similar were/are best made with mortar and pestle.

+1
You can also vacuum out air from most puree's (spinach, sweet potato, custards, etc.)

+2 (Thx for this as I didn't want to be 'that guy' either - love my molcajete for salsa's)
Not to be that guy but I'm also pretty 100% sure salsas, chutneys, pestos and things similar were/are best made with mortar and pestle.

:)

Haha. True. I’ll go further and say a true salsa is cut up with a beater knife, not a Japanese scalpel. :)

I’ll draw inline somewhere.

Haha. True. I’ll go further and say a true salsa is cut up with a beater knife, not a Japanese scalpel. :)

I’ll draw inline somewhere.

Yea for sure, make the line with what you like where you like, no judgments. I am also debating how to do all the things with some corn salsa I've fermented, in this case it is down to food processor vs mortal and combat and I'm going to do the FP, probably.

how about just punch all the ingredients, smash them like you mean it.

Just watch out for the squirters, things were getting too frothy and that's how we got in this mess. If it gets in your eyes it'll probably burn, and remember to use protection.

Squirters are fun

I really love your style ... if 'style' is what makes sense ... :)

Segue ... Also been playing a lot with a Marko 52100 honesuki ... and it really does (like you said it would) behave a lot like semi-stainless ...

Please DDPslice - educate me 'fermented corn' salsa ... sounds awesome! & I have used huitlacoche (which I guess beyond the fungus has some fermentation going on) in salsa ...

Well fairly simple really, all I did was lacto ferment some corn then took some pickled onions (rice vinegar). When the corn was done I added the onions some garlic and put it in the fridge. **didnt ferment the garlic** I added it to a low ph brine and refrigerated immediately to stop the fermentation (if you are worried just add granulated garlic when blending), also before putting in the fridge I added salsa herbs and spices and it's been chillin in the fridge.

Tldr: lacto ferment corn + normal salsa stuff

Last edited:
I pulse in somewhat two batches then mix in a bowl: tomatoes with spices first take out most of it and then pulse the rest; cilantro, Chile, etc, sometimes even change blades

Never pulse the onion IMO

Well fairly simple really, all I did was lacto ferment some corn then took some pickled onions (rice vinegar). When the corn was done I added the onions some garlic and put it in the fridge. **didnt ferment the garlic** I added it to a low ph brine and refrigerated immediately to stop the fermentation (if you are worried just add granulated garlic when blending), also before putting in the fridge I added salsa herbs and spices and it's been chillin in the fridge.

Tldr: lacto ferment corn + normal salsa stuff

Thx - will definitely start trying things along this vein. Much appreciated! TjA

Back