Blue Patina question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHatt

Reaction score
In your experience how does a blue patina on carbon steel from cutting meat hold up in the long run? Does remain blue or turn dark? Thanks.

Yea I mean there really is no concrete answer to this question. Just use it some more and find out. If you like the way it looks now take a picture of it.

52100 gets vivid blue and tends to be very stable with it - compared to any other carbons I had. Other discolorations still occur, but I meant as a natural tendency.

Aft_SH_flat tipL.jpg
Aft_SH_CvxL.jpg

I usually like to "prime" with cutting hot cooked meat, and then use are normal. I find this leaves the most blue across my carbon steels. It will basically turn dark grey over time but the blue still comes through I'm certain angles
PXL_20210503_224611671.PORTRAIT.jpg

If you want blue then look at gun blue. Steel guns are blued to keep down the rust. The more you polish the steel the deeper the gun blue will be. I would think a carbon steel knife would like nice with a polished deep blued metal. I have never seen it done but it would be interesting. In my younger days in high school, I had an after-school gun job working for a local gunsmith and one of my tasks was to polish rifle barrels for bluing.

If you want blue then look at gun blue. Steel guns are blued to keep down the rust. The more you polish the steel the deeper the gun blue will be. I would think a carbon steel knife would like nice with a polished deep blued metal. I have never seen it done but it would be interesting. In my younger days in high school, I had an after-school gun job working for a local gunsmith and one of my tasks was to polish rifle barrels for bluing.
Pretty sure but don't want to point anywhere specifically; you often see gunblued japanese sanmai knives, "kurouchi", the iron claddings blacken really well. Here's a gunblued carbon monosteel blade. It's used and have some patina on top of the bluing
IMG_20210627_223849.jpg

I would worry about the chemicals in gun blueing.

When bluing they only etch the steel the chemicals are washed off after bluing. For hot dip bluing you drop the barrel in a hot blue tank and the steel is blued. The barrel is taken out washed and waxed to finish it.

Back