Botched sharpening job? Pictures inside.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it s not the prettiest finish like Jon's is doing, but if it cut well so I am don't see any problem.
Try it first

yeah... and not everything i do looks like what i post on instagram... those are things i spend time on refinishing. When people want more reasonable sharpening prices, it can look more similar to what you see in the picture here. I agree completely with the above statement... if it cuts well, thats what is most important. Honestly, even if you had aritsugu do the sharpening it would likely not look better than this. They dont really care of making things pretty as much as they care about functionality.

I am trying to copy your tecnic Jon but I am a long long far from manage to do it.! 😊 amazing job you doing and your videos are absolutely the best ones. Tk you! 😊

If all he charged was $10 for that knife, if was a gift. Pretty takes so much time .

Looks good...you should take a file or sandpaper to the spine though as it looks a bit harsh in the photo. As to finishing a knife, that is completely different than sharpening...they can be done together but most people who care about performance will be scratching it again before long so it makes little sense to spend a lot of time making it look pretty...you can do that yourself at your leisure. I bet the knife cuts way better than it did before?

Looks good...you should take a file or sandpaper to the spine though as it looks a bit harsh in the photo. As to finishing a knife, that is completely different than sharpening...they can be done together but most people who care about performance will be scratching it again before long so it makes little sense to spend a lot of time making it look pretty...you can do that yourself at your leisure. I bet the knife cuts way better than it did before?

The knife is now very sharp, much more so than the first time he returned it to me. Part of what had me vexed was the appearance of the knife, and it wasn't nearly as sharp as it could have been. For $10 I can't be anything but pleased I think.

I'll also say this, I bought a really cheap yanagiba ($20) from Mitsuwa and sent it to him. He thinned its and gave it a new edge profile and tonight it cut through a smoked brisket like butter. That was $15 and I'm pretty happy with what I got. I'm in the market for some new (good) knives but will wait until the next Japan trip this summer.

If the uneven finish bothers you, little bit of wet/dry sandpaper will do the trick. I am usually satisfied with 800 or so grit.

And don't slam the sharpener - he bothered to understand what you wanted and did it on his tab.

The OP has sent more business the sharpener's way, which I assume means that he's satisfied at the way the sharpener handled the issue.

And don't slam the sharpener - he bothered to understand what you wanted and did it on his tab.

He sharpened six knives for me and this was the only one I had an issue with. What I've learned here is that it was really an appearance issue due to an uneven grind from the factory. The other five knives are just fine, so altogether I would say Im satisfied.

Back