bread knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndavid

Reaction score
I have heard good things about the Mac bread knife, but its 100 USD when compared to the tojiro or vic for around 35.00

considering they are all going to be serrated and hard to sharpen - and I probably wont sharpen them because I dont have the files to do it .. is there any point in spending the increased cost on the Mac when I can just get the cheaper tojiro/vic and replace every two years or so?

Is the handle as god awful in the tojiro as it looks? Not that it matters really but it looks huuuuuge

Is the handle as god awful in the tojiro as it looks? Not that it matters really but it looks huuuuuge

Yes it is imo and it's why I own a Mac... but the limited amount of time I use a bread knife for its probably shouldn't be a deal breaker

Yeah I really love the mac. Had one for a week but returned it because I can't justify the cost versus the one or two times a year I need to bust out a trillion crostini. But someone melted the handle on my Vic so...

I use the tojiro 8 1/2 inch bread knife. It's much more nimble and better suited for busy line work(like sandwiches for day shifts)the handle is superior to tojiro itk, it's on par with reg tojiro dp handles.

I have a Mac bread knife and I'm very happy with it, though I don't cut a ton of bread I have no regrets. With a Tojiro or Victorinox I'd be able to cut bread just fine—at the end of the day, it's just sharp metal going through baked dough, often I'll just use my gyuto to cut bread. Reason I spent the money on a Mac was that I could afford it, and desired something special—it was a 'want' and not a 'need.' Go for a Mac because you want it—quality bread slicer, but not the best bang-for-buck knife.

Bang for buck bread knife is Forschner/Victorinox...cuts well even when dull because it's so thin. For performance, Gude:)

I disliked the handle on the Tojiro (270) because it was too thin and fit & finish was not great.

Mac is nice as is my old Henckels.

We've got my girlfriend's Vic and my Mac. The Mac cuts better and cleaner (scalloped edge doesn't rip or make as many crumbs). But the difference isn't huge ... so the Vic is our most used daily bread knife. I know both are a pain to sharpen, so I save the Mac things like slicing homemade bread for guests. The Vic gets used pre-coffee for breakfast.

The Global G9 can be found for under $100 on ebay (but still close to $100). The integrated SS handle and overall finish was worth it to me because Ill often have dinner parties and cut 1/2 the baguette and leave the other half and the knife on a nice round cutting board next to the cheese plate for guests to cut their own. After 5 years of limited bread use, its still plenty sharp.

Where can I find file for sharpening bread knives?

There are some narrow ceramic rods. I got a 8mm (or so) diameter 1200 FEPA one In my Edgepro kit. EP do sell them seperately but I suspect they are not the OEM.

I have a Smith's unit similar to @laxlad's Lansky recommendation. But in practice, I would go with @chinacat's suggestion - sandpaper and dowel. I find that the small disposable chopsticks that come with take-away (or take-out) meals are pretty fit for purpose.

Anyone had success sharpening the scalloped edge on the Mac? I've never sharpened mind because I don't know how.

Anyone had success sharpening the scalloped edge on the Mac? I've never sharpened mind because I don't know how.

It's a pain in the....don't bother. :) just replace it. Btw Jon carries a really affordable bread knife. I haven't heard any user feed back on it yet, but it's priced like a forshner so maybe it's worth taking a gamble on.

It's a pain in the....don't bother. :) just replace it. Btw Jon carries a really affordable bread knife. I haven't heard any user feed back on it yet, but it's priced like a forshner so maybe it's worth taking a gamble on.

It's thin, somewhat flexy. Really does do crumb-less cuts on soft cakes and such but one does have to try to get it to bite into crusty loaves to get it going

Found an interesting property of the Victorinox by accident (cutting a stollen that already had powdered sugar on it, which I wanted to avoid disturbing by grabbing onto it): It does push cut comparatively well :)

Latest posts

Back