Brian Hanson passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit late, but better late than never I guess.

I really enjoyed this knife, a bit more than I thought I was going to. My preference is for 240s and if I go shorter, it's usually for my 195mm. I enjoy 210s, but they always seem like a blade stuck in those awkward teen years; too tall for the kid rides, but not long enough for the fun rides. With that being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the sizing and proportions of this one. My one caveat, being the handle size. It was a touch larger than I prefer for my little hands (insert obvious small hands joke here). The shape was good, just a little bit bigger around that my hand prefers.
The profile of the blade had a nice shape that felt good during cutting; not too flat, but not too curved. The grind seemed like a skinny workhorse, which made it cut well. I love a thick spine and very thin edge, but this would be a great blade if I could only own one knife. A very well rounded knife that does everything well and didn't feel like it needs to be babied.
My favorite thing about this blade was how it cut chicken breast. I usually bake a batch in the oven to use for lunch salads during the week and for some reason, this was the best knife I've ever used for dicing breast meat. On that alone, I'd have one in the drawer.

Thanks to @Delat, @Matt Jacobs and @Brian Hanson for offering this pass around. It was a great knife and I had a bunch of fun playing around with it

I got the knife today. It's in good condition (although could use a sharpening). I'm cooking for 22 people all week, so I'll give it a good test run and then pass it on next Monday or Tuesday.

Initial comments on my experience with it:
- The reported twist in the blade was a non issue.
- I noticed the recurve in the blade but it wasn’t generally an issue. I did have a minor issue with scallions.
- I reach for <200mm knives for most home use unless I have a larger prep session. So this is larger than I typically use at about 213x52.5mm. I have other knives of similar size but they are infrequently used.
- Knives I compared this too were more expensive. My gyutos are much pricier. I also tried a watanabe nakiri and a santoku that are closer to the price range of this but smaller knives.

My initial impression followed delat and tostadas. I tried it first then read the prior comments in this thread.

Pros:
- Lightweight. I like light and nimble and the approx 153g weight was great for a knife of this size.

- Nice handle materials. The figured walnut and blackwood are great. I like nice wood in my handles and this was very well done for the price.

- Good profile. I liked the profile other than the recurve. I don’t know the origin of the recurve but it wasn’t a big influence on my opinion. I considered fixing it but wanted to leave the profile intact for others to evaluate.

- Easy to sharpen. Very easy on the stones and easily took a great edge that worked well on tomatoes and peppers.

- Tall height. This was appreciated on larger radishes and similar ingredients. The knife was at its best in my use prepping salads (other than cucumber and avocado).

Cons:
- Stiction. The blade had serious issues with food release to the point where I would not recommend using it. If it were on my rack it would see little use for this reason despite other good attributes. Its tall for this length which makes this problem egregious. It has convexed sides so I was expecting much better.

- I really did not like the handle shape. I have medium size hands and the circumference was too large for me. It was 20x25mm at the front of the handle but a square profile. A favorite handle of mine is 19x24mm at the front but octagon with the diagonal facet width matching the top and bottom (sides are larger). I much preferred the traditional octagonal shape over Hanson’s square profile. The two handles are shown in pictures below.

- Edge retention. The edge went from excellent to dull in under an hour use on a Hasagawa PE cutting board. The board probably has a lot to do with this but I don’t see this completing a shift in a pro kitchen on a poly board. It was fine in initial light use on other boards (Tenryo black, Hasagawa rubber). My Hasagawa PE is my largest board and used for larger prep work. It was used for about 10lbs of veg. An hour and 10lbs of veg is far too quick to dull an edge. I do blame the board but I doubt this will hold up in a pro kitchen. I suspect the steel heat treat was run soft for easy sharpening and durability. When I received it, the back was sharp but the front was dull from presumably board contact. This doesn’t hold up to a week of home use. I did find it easy on the stones, comparable to my blue 2 knives at HRC 61-62. I had to sharpen it twice in my week with it. I did a quick initial sharpening and a few days later did a proper sharpening followed by destroying a bunch of peppers which it did well.

Stiction: An avocado picture is below. Stiction made this knife unusable to me. Similar results with cucumber and zucchini. I used another gyuto on the other half of the same avocado and it passed the naughty schoolboy test - no stiction at all. A tall knife with poor food release is not good.

Avocado:
IMG_9595.jpeg

Cucumber:
IMG_9612.jpeg

Handle vs japanese wa handle, the extra width at the bottom and top of Hanson’s knife made it uncomfortable to me.
IMG_9619.jpeg

Here is a photo of the end which was unintentionally captured as a short video instead of a photo:

Last edited:
@Jville is swamped and needs to bow out. So I guess this brings the passaround to a close. @Delat , I can get this in the mail this week if ya lemme know soon where to send it. I'm completely covered up for a week starting on Sunday, so if I don't get it out by Saturday it'll have to wait a spell

@Jville is swamped and needs to bow out. So I guess this brings the passaround to a close. @Delat , I can get this in the mail this week if ya lemme know soon where to send it. I'm completely covered up for a week starting on Sunday, so if I don't get it out by Saturday it'll have to wait a spell

Thanks @Up_dog128 I'll reach out to @Brian Hanson and get his address for you to return the knife.

Thanks to everyone who participated and I hope it was fun and worthwhile.

It was definitely fun and worthwhile. I very much appreciate the opportunity from Brian Hanson and offered some constructive criticism. For me I think some minor tweeks could make it awesome:
- use a traditional octagonal handle and offer size options.
- run the steel harder (this could be an option).
- improve food release.

Great news for everyone who participated in the passaround - @Brian Hanson has generously decided to donate the knife to a participant!

Since not everyone meshed with the knife, I’m going to run the giveaway as an opt-in. If you participated and would like to be in the drawing just reply “In”. If you’re definitely out then please let me know so I can see when everyone has replied. I’ll do the drawing either in a week or once all 11 participants have responded.

@Up_dog128 I hope you don’t mind holding on the knife for now then shipping to the winner?

Here’s our list of eligible participants:
  1. @crockerculinary NorCal
  2. @xsmx13 NorCal
  3. @tostadas NorCal
  4. @ch_br SoCal
  5. @blokey SoCal
  6. @Malcolm Johnson UT
  7. @pcs-abc PA
  8. @brimmergj VT
  9. @Justinv NY
  10. @Up_dog128 NC
  11. @Jville FL

Super cool of Brian to do the giveaway! I don't gravitate towards this size of gyuto, so I'll sit out the giveaway. Thanks again to all involved for the chance to participate.

Cheers!

I’m also out. Its not a frequently used size in my kitchen and I don’t see it displacing anything in my existing lineup. Its well made and deserves to be used.

Very cool of Brian; I'm in.
After tomorrow, I'll be running a field kitchen w/o service, so I'll likely not be checking this platform before Tuesday 6/27. But I'll ship to the winner once I'm back

Ok all, looks like everyone has reported in except for @crockerculinary and @Jville

Since @Up_dog128 is incommunicado until the 27th, I'll wait until then to do the drawing.

Here's the folks that are in: ch_br, brimmergj, up_dog128
And the folks that are out - I tip my hat at your generosity: pcs-abc, justinv, xsmx13, tostadas, Malcolm johnson, blokey

Feel free to contact me before the 27th if anyone changes their mind either way.

Oh wow! What a pleasant surprise after a 90+ hour workweek!
Yeah, big thanks to @Brian Hanson and @Delat.
I think I'll probably slim the handle down just a bit and give it more of an octagonal shape, and work out that little spot in the profile. If i decide to pass it on at some point, @brimmergj and @ch_br will get right of first refusal.

Latest posts

Back