(Budget) Funayukis - Who's Selling?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDan

Reaction score
So a year ago I got a generic funayuki (with the kanji stamped to a cheap-o handle) and returned it pretty quick because I felt it wasn't worth the price I paid for it. Maybe I should of asked you guys to ID it... too late.

Now I have a random craving for a budget funayuki to mess around with, but I searched around a lot of vendors and didn't find much selection. I know Jon used to sell Zakuris and there's a rakuten vendor that has some (but with bad pictures and only up to 165mm). I know blueway has a couple. And a certain vendor I don't want to purchase from has a few. I also searched the forum, but mostly got results about users loving a certain Western maker's funayuki.

I know selection is slim because they aren't very popular, but is anyone dealing? Are they just as uncommon in Japan, or do I have to make my way over there to get one?

I still have access to stuff like that for what its worth... just that there wasn't a ton of demand

I'm sure I'll be stabbed with one, but... Chroma RS-03. Or were you looking for a single-bevel one - in this case, I think Mizuno makes some. Or "not labelled a funayuki, but probably closer to a funayuki than to most other shapes" - Tojiro FD-571. Will need stone work, OOTB edge and blade road is wack.

I still have access to stuff like that for what its worth... just that there wasn't a ton of demand

I figured that was the case, and/or you wanted to focus on house lines. Side by side I'd take a Gesshin any day :happymug:

I'm sure I'll be stabbed with one, but... Chroma RS-03. Or were you looking for a single-bevel one - in this case, I think Mizuno makes some. Or "not labelled a funayuki, but probably closer to a funayuki than to most other shapes" - Tojiro FD-571. Will need stone work, OOTB edge and blade road is wack.

I meant double bevel, although a single-bevel could kill all birds with one stone as a project knife. You mean the Mizuno's that are labelled as santoku?

Any other takers?!

murata knifes are sold by EE and tosa knifes sold by Hida tool

blueway (unknown maker) if the steel is good (does anybody know?),
as they have nice distal taper and profiles.

for single bevel suisin (edit) does them,
but they are high grade, not budget/projects.

https://www.pictadesk.com/post/BglC15LB215

I second Tosa. They are dirt cheap, have the best kurouchi I've seen and a killer workhorse grind.

I have a Suisin funayuki from their Dreamcraft series, it was around $500 which is very reasonable for the quality.

yes... that's tsubaki oil ;)

I have a Suisin funayuki from their Dreamcraft series, it was around $500 which is very reasonable for the quality.

yes... that's tsubaki oil ;)

Show off!! At least I know I'm not alone in my funayuki attraction though :rofl2:

Are there any other vendors of Tosa than Hida (preferably with better handles)? It's a shame EE is out of the 165mm Murata, and everywhere else seems to be too. Nice blade with a solid handle. I found another nice one on Rakuten that was out of stock too.

This site has a few too, but the one titled 'Tosa' is also out of stock! This site also has the same one that they call 'Yamashin'.

The search continues! Maybe it's best to just go with a Zakuri direct from Rakuten.

Show off!! At least I know I'm not alone in my funayuki attraction though :rofl2:

Are there any other vendors of Tosa than Hida (preferably with better handles)? It's a shame EE is out of the 165mm Murata, and everywhere else seems to be too. Nice blade with a solid handle. I found another nice one on Rakuten that was out of stock too.

This site has a few too, but the one titled 'Tosa' is also out of stock! This site also has the same one that they call 'Yamashin'.

The search continues! Maybe it's best to just go with a Zakuri direct from Rakuten.

Nah, not showing off... just enabling :rofl2:

This was purchased from the lovely Marie @Korin.

Back