Can anyone help a newbie identify a knife? Also: Damascus quality question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Digging through a drawer earlier today found a knife (pictures attached -- if I haven't screwed up my first attempt). The only thing I can decipher is that a label on one end of the box says 135mm. Have no recollection how many years ago I purchased it, for how much, where, etc. So essentially after looking at the pictures you know as much as I do about it. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I suspect it's an inexpensive knife that simply caught my eye somewhere.

Also (if you'll permit a second, unrelated question in this same thread): Are the only sensible means of judging the quality of Damascus blades the obvious ones, e.g., knowing the general reputation for such blades of the bladesmiths who made them, identifying the composition of the blade, weight, profile, taper, etc.; inferring their quality from the quality of other parts (e.g., handle)? Absent such information, it seems virtually impossible to distinguish between a "quality" knife and one of questionable (to say the least) character, e.g.: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310832945215?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks,
Larry

Knife 1 of 2.jpg

Knife 2 of 2.jpg

looks like a typical OEM VG-10 knife to me. Might not be. Probably good quality. The vast majority of "Damascus" clad knives are made from pre-cladded sheets, and aren't handmade in the sense of, say, an HHH or Devin blade. You probably would have remembered it, due to how much it cost, if it were an artisan made knife. :) I can't read Japanese though, and I've seen knives that are putatively artisan made that look like typical factory made.

Same knife as Hattori HD, right? OEM VG-10. Good knife.

Same knife as Hattori HD, right? OEM VG-10. Good knife.
I'm not sure.......however, Ittosai Kotetsu never admit/confirm the steel is VG-10. it list as (inox) high-carbon stain-resistant steel or Cobalt Stain-Resistant steel, hardness (HRC 63).

"Kotetsu was a famous sword craftsman in the Edo Era (1596-1868). In the early 1900’s, Kusutaro Takahashi christened his new knife-crafting company Ittosai-Kotetsu, meaning "a stroke of Kotetsu’s sword." For nearly a century, the name Ittosai-Kotetsu has been engraved on every knife produced by his company, and has come to be known as the honorable insignia of a high-quality knife maker."

Thanks to all for help identifying the knife. It's still a mystery to me when and where, etc. I acquired it -- not to mention what I might have paid for it. And what possessed me to purchase it, especially if it is of decent quality and likely to have cost a few bucks.

It cost about $103. Whatever the brand, Ittosai, Hattori hd, Marayushi, I think Ryusen is the actual maker. It's pretty good vg 10. That cladding takes a nice etch as well.

Back