Can I fix this?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlums

Reaction score
I’m relatively knew to sharpening and J knives, but I’ve gotten good enough to keep decent edges on my gyuto and old western stuff. I have this old Wustoff paring knife with a bent tip. I only have a shun 1000/6000 combo stone, and a coarse flattening stone. Is this something I can fix with these tools? I don’t want to attempt trying to fix the tip is likely to mess up my stone.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxyGoBY3DDSaam85V0M3MlRiRkU?usp=sharing

Easy, simply straighten the tip of the knife and than use sand paper working from the spine to reform your tip, being german steel this should straighten with great ease. Once that is done, simply sharpen as you normally would.

Easy, simply straighten the tip of the knife and than use sand paper working from the spine to reform your tip, being german steel this should straighten with great ease. Once that is done, simply sharpen as you normally would.

You found me on this post too! After thinking about the petties we talked about earlier, It made me want to fix this up for the small amount of in hand work I do. What should I do to actually straiten the tip before moving to sand paper? Before I knew about this forum I tried bending it back by pushing the tip it against a board, and even a ceramic plate with no luck. It felt like pushing harder might break it the tip. (sorry if this description is cringe inducing).

Straightening hardened monosteel is tough. Heating it to tempering temp is recommended but your handle materials probably don't want to go above 100c. So I'd say heat it in boiling water and bend it again. It will either bend back or snap off.

I don't like bending hard steel. Grind it off from the spine. Easy repair with a flattening stone.

If you want to straighten the tip dip it into oil and heat over charcoal until it starts smoking.

Straightening hardened monosteel is tough. Heating it to tempering temp is recommended but your handle materials probably don't want to go above 100c. So I'd say heat it in boiling water and bend it again. It will either bend back or snap off.

Thanks for the advice. I did what you said and it worked well. It not perfect but I think the rest should be pretty easy with stones.

Improved tip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxyGoBY3DDSaZnR5WXdJLVlVc0E

Back