Can I leave this orange "patina" on my knife or does it need to be cleaned away?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubbishCook

Reaction score
I have one carbon knife that seems to have an orange patina in spots. Is this something that needs to be removed to properly maintain the knife? It isn't pitted that I can see.

img_3400.jpg

img_3399.jpg

Rubbishcook
Keep an eye on it! It may be nothing or it may be the start of a rust spot..tough to tell!

Unless you want to keep the blade road finish as it is .. why not thin the knife a bit next time you sharpen?

Have something similar on Kato cladding.
4D3FCA0D-37A0-4389-9B5B-BC5B41644E28_zpsuti2ee5l.jpg

My plan is to just keep using unless I start to detect pitting. Interestingly, I've had some blue painters tape cause pitting (brown-red spots that are rough, not this brighter orange) in small spots. Probably in part to the fact I let it sit on for several months

I would take the orange off with a rust eraser, leave the rest of the patina alone. Then find a piece of cow.

I was recommended baking soda slurry (baking soda mixed with a little water) and a cork to rub it in another thread and find that it works great and doesn't scratch the blade.

Back