Can i polish my knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@valgard did you separately follow up to polish the part of the blade where the clamp is?
Yes, I'm working that part separately for each grit. for the finer grits I will try to clamp on the handle with something underneath for support and see if I can make long strokes starting at the tang.

Great info here... I was planning to do this for one of my knives too!

small update: i got the micro mesh as recommended and set them on my knives.

I think coarsest grit is still too fine to remove scratch marks that came with the knife. Probably gonna try sand paper next. Maybe i'll progress with micro mesh after sand paper.

Any suggestion how fine i should go with sandpaper before transitioning into micro mesh?

Or am i not spending enough time on the coarsest grit? (it says 1500 btw)

I moved on to higher grit because i'm not seeing any visible scratch marks when i used the 1500, and i assumed it was too fine to be visible.

Get the scratch out and establish a base finish on coarser grit sandpaper or with orange edm stones. Climbing that then is easy.

I found that the coarsest grit of those micromesh pads to not be able to take out something like Beston 500 scratches. And didn't quite take out the vertical grind marks on a knife when i tried to switch to horizontal sanding marks. Getting some roughly P220-500 grit progression of wet or dry sandpaper helps go coarser then bridge the gap to where those micromesh start

Robin - are those orange strip abrasives flexible at all? Or are they used as narrow stones?

Not flexible. I use the end, dressed to my bevel to get a good initial surface contact. Then they wear and retain shape as bevel. Made a simple clamp to use for handle. I get the biggest size (page three if you follow that link.)

Polishing stone https://imgur.com/gallery/ClxWU

A elmax blade I tried taking from grinder 60 grit.

i have this knife for 13 Years and finally gave it a good clean-up ux10 polished with wet/dry sandpaper IMG_2660 2.jpgIMG_2655 2.jpgIMG_2659 2.jpgIMG_2473.jpg

Back