Can I use this to seal stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been doing wood with it, can anyone think of a reason I shouldn’t use it on stones? It’s pretty nice to work with.. better than using a spray can for sure.
E6ADE4EA-AAD5-428A-A1FF-15C7A0362317.jpeg

If I recall, @musicman980 suggested using something similar, (Spar urethane), on some stones I bought from him. Perhaps he can chime in? FWIW I have been happy with the results - 3 coatings of the aforementioned product have held up well after a couple of years of use.

The stuff you have is water-based poly. Not a good fit for something that will often be wet. Basically, it's next-gen poly for floors and furniture, as some people are shying away from the stinky stuff due to VOCs (and VOCs in paint are more heavily regulated now than in the past).
Spar varnish is oil based, so can deal with moisture. Go with oil-based.

If I recall, @musicman980 suggested using something similar, (Spar urethane), on some stones I bought from him. Perhaps he can chime in? FWIW I have been happy with the results - 3 coatings of the aforementioned product have held up well after a couple of years of use.
Yep I have always used spar urethane, Helmsman specifically which is oil based. I started with the paint-on version and that went on quite thick, but eventually switched to the spray can spar urethane. Now it goes on way thinner and a lot more evenly. The water based stuff like what the OP has might work differently though.

I did notice a difference between the directions of the paint-on Helmsman and Varathane. The wait time after the final coat until normal use was one day for Helmsman, and three days for Varathane, so that's why I go for the former.

oil vs water based is strictly the 'carrier' for application. Once the water had evaporated or the VOCs have flashed off there really shouldn't be any difference. So is the oil based recommendation due to ease of applications (and/ or faster drying time) or how well it holds up later?

If water-based paints/ coatings not do well in water, water-based paint would flow away from the exteriors of painted wood on houses.

In my 'world', where we spec and inspect coating systems regularly, water-based is only a liability during application. drying time.

I think oil-based spar varnish is better than water-based poly (OP’s can) because of what its designed for. Spar varnish is designed for exterior use, being wet, flexing, etc. OP’s can of water-based Varathane isn’t—it’s interior stuff (its TDS confirms: “indoor use only”). Sure, there are water-based boat varnishes that're designed to stand up to environment, but OP wasn’t showing a can of one.
If water-based paints/ coatings not do well in water, water-based paint would flow away from the exteriors of painted wood on houses.
Of course rain’s not washing off exterior acrylic/latex from the side of a house. But an interior acrylic/latex wouldn’t stand up to weather. So, will water-based paint do well with water or not? One will, one won’t... Depends on the paint.

I recommended oil-based spar varnish over OP's water-based poly because I think spar varnish is designed for conditions that surpasses what a stone will go through. Water-based interior poly isn’t.

Reactions: Pie
Much appreciated replies guys.

I see the info from both points of view, and I don’t know enough to say which I should follow.

Suffice to say water based super tough products work, and so does that spray stuff, and oil base. What I have in hand seems less desirable, but useable in my basement washroom. My nagura dish is going to get drenched daily so let’s see how fast it melts. Mark it down as undecided.

Endgame I suppose is to find that water based boat varnish. Or wait til it’s not winter here North of the wall.

Again thanks for the info!!

Of course rain’s not washing off exterior acrylic/latex from the side of a house. But an interior acrylic/latex wouldn’t stand up to weather. So, will water-based paint do well with water or not? One will, one won’t... Depends on the paint.

I recommended oil-based spar varnish over OP's water-based poly because I think spar varnish is designed for conditions that surpasses what a stone will go through. Water-based interior poly isn’t.
With varnishes it is possible the exterior vs interior also has to do with UV resistance.

Back