Canadian Duty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry

Reaction score
What sort of duty would one pay when purchasing a knife from a vendor in Europe or the US? Also if one buys a knife from BTS outside of Canada, do they have to pay any duty when it crosses the boarder? Thanks in advance.

What sort of duty would one pay when purchasing a knife from a vendor in Europe or the US? Also if one buys a knife from BTS outside of Canada, do they have to pay any duty when it crosses the boarder? Thanks in advance.
I'm gonna make it short to you, from experience and since you're in the same province. You will pay a fixed fee + about 11%. The fixed fee is for processing and depends on the carrier, should go be in the 10-20 cad range, I think 12cad with FedEx and 20 or so with DHL. Can't remember for Canada Post.

I'm gonna make it short to you, from experience and since you're in the same province. You will pay a fixed fee + about 11%. The fixed fee is for processing and depends on the carrier, should go be in the 10-20 cad range, I think 12cad with FedEx and 20 or so with DHL. Can't remember for Canada Post.

Thanks Carlos.

If the knife was made in Japan but the vendor is in USA, the knife is not part of NAFTA.
The rule of thumb, there are exceptions, only items that are made in Canada, USA and Mexico are part of NAFTA.

Keep in-mind that you will most likely pay HST/GST/PST on any item.
Also there is a trick, ask the sender to declare the value of the item less than $40. Usually low cost items will not be subject of any taxes if received by Canada Post. Not all the vendors will do the above though.

That CBSA calculator includes Duty & Taxes (HST in ON) but it does not include any clearance fee charged by the carrier. Check with the shipper to see if the shipping method includes customs clearance, and if they don't know check with the carrier. Their websites can be very opaque about the type of shipping and associated costs.

I have heard that labelling it as kitchen utensil rather than knife lessens the chance of having it opened for inspection.

Back