Catcheside deposit giveaway

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I paid a non refundable deposit (maybe $20) a few monthes back for a Catcheside 240mm gyuto from the current batch that he’s finishing up on. Forged geometry.
I’m bailing on the knife altogether, which he allows as he keeps the deposit but if someone wants my spot for a new Catcheside that should be ready w choice of handle shoot me a PM.

I received a few PMs asking me why I’m not getting the Catcheside.
I like his work a lot, and I enjoy his knives.
I just happen to be having some very unexpected medical issues and I can’t really justify buying anything else until everything gets sorted out.

Here is the info from Wills site re: the knife labor is talking about. There is also a video showing performance of one from this line. He has forged 4 240's that are spoken for (I have one).

Forged geometry knives are made completely by hand by William Catcheside, they are an evolution of a lifetime of forging experience, the knives are laminated from soft steel cladding with a core of super high carbon/tungsten steel, 1.224. The entire profile taper and dramatic geometry is then forged in during several stages under the power hammer, the resulting geometry is the perfect balance of weight and stiffness from a thicker spine, with a very the blade dramatically thinning from the forging into the middle of the knife, this leaves the final low bevel to be ground and stone finished. The combined thinness at the critical point combined with the change in angle into the lower bevel breaks friction, gives amazing release without a feeling of wedging. It is quite rare even in Japan that the geometry is forged to this degree, and all be it in the guise of a humble workhorse, these are my greatest forging achievement, none of my knives will cut better than these. Soft clad san mai, allows easier forging of more dramatic geometry and allows the use of the core steel at full hardness, which you would not dare in or want to maintain in mono steel. These knives are very easy to maintain as you work the whole lower bevel on the stones, which maintains thinness behind the edge throughout the life of the knife.

That’s too bad to hear...hope you get it all straightened out.

Latest posts

Back