Chance to be a hero - Looking for a high quality pepper mill

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No perfect device. cheap coffee grinder is great for quantity spice grinds.

I must admit I am kind of with Mucho Bocho here. Despite my earlier recommendation I quite like a pestle and mortar. Does the job fine and dandy. And you can grind whatever you like in it in small quantities.

I think they all suck. I have have a half dozen unicorn mills because they're supposed to the best. They may be better than all others, if say, they are the best of the worst.

Their designs have major design flaws. On the Magnum, the adjustment screw loosens up after a couple dozen cranks. The knob itself is loosey goosey and are really only suited for course grinding. The grind knob is smooth plastic and even a slightly moist hand will slip or it take great effort to turn. The knob needs some sort of knurling for better grip. Ten years ago I mentioned this to them, guess they didn't agree with me. Also, even the Magnum doesn't grind a lot of pepper when cranked. Think I'm wrong, grind me one gram of black tellicherry , and report back (after you rest your arm of course) how long that took.

I say, all pepper mills suck.

Dennis, You take a grumpy pill this morning??? :angel2:

I had to do it. You made me.

2015-03-10%2020.37.14.jpg

Five (5) 1,2,3,4,5 twists with the Unicorn.

2015-03-10%2020.38.00.jpg

And while I was on a roll - 22 twists with the Zhauss - most consistent grind

2015-03-10%2020.40.56.jpg

And 18 twists with the Peugeot

2015-03-10%2020.43.07.jpg

I think they all suck. I have have a half dozen unicorn mills because they're supposed to the best. They may be better than all others, if say, they are the best of the worst.

Their designs have major design flaws. On the Magnum, the adjustment screw loosens up after a couple dozen cranks. The knob itself is loosey goosey and are really only suited for course grinding. The grind knob is smooth plastic and even a slightly moist hand will slip or it take great effort to turn. The knob needs some sort of knurling for better grip. Ten years ago I mentioned this to them, guess they didn't agree with me. Also, even the Magnum doesn't grind a lot of pepper when cranked. Think I'm wrong, grind me one gram of black tellicherry , and report back (after you rest your arm of course) how long that took.

I say, all pepper mills suck.

I use an electric coffee mill for anything but small amounts, myself...

DAVE. that is pretty fantastic.

going all ATK on us!! well done. that Unicorn is so utilitarian looking..or looks like Dil....nevermind.

Well done Dave. The Unicorn grind looks like back fill but that besides the point. I was judging based on the the tightest setting on the unicorn.

Sounds like your Mr. test Kitchen tonight, what's your conclusion? ;-)

hehe, u guys rock.

few years ago, I got a great deal on unicorns and shared 3 with my fellow forumers. that was great and I hope they all enjoy it.

I use 2, that magnum and old oxo grinder... if it held even 1/2 as much as magnum, i'd call it my favorite, but it's tiny....

no joke, i love the mccormick disposable mills. never have to refill just replace for cheap at the grocery store. 3 settings. for bulk grind a pint full at a time in the vitamix..

So I looked up Obsessive Compulsive Disorder this morning and it said "See KKF". I mean, forty posts and counting in response to a guy asking what pepper mill he should buy?

Isn't it wonderful that we have a place where we can all be together? :lol2: Please excuse me now, I have to go see if my Unicorn takes the same number of twists to grind a gram of pepper as Dave's does. And by the way, there's no need to point out that I was one of the first to reply to the OP. :angel2:

So I looked up Obsessive Compulsive Disorder this morning and it said "See KKF". I mean, forty posts and counting in response to a guy asking what pepper mill he should buy?

Isn't it wonderful that we have a place where we can all be together? :lol2: Please excuse me now, I have to go see if my Unicorn takes the same number of twists to grind a gram of pepper as Dave's does. And by the way, there's no need to point out that I was one of the first to reply to the OP. :angel2:

I'd say I've heard her lament about a pepper mill at least 40 times also. :lol2:

And to be fair, I've also read multiple pages related to a singular spoon. With the discussion being good enough and thorough enough that I almost purchased a Kunz (even though I realistically have zero need for one).

Knowing her, with the vast reams of recommendations and data I've provided her with from you guys, she'll probably go with the Vic Firth/Fletchers Mill Border Grill peppermill. Turns out she doesn't want plastic, wants american made, and wants it somewhat stylish. Thanks to all who provided input. You've certainly opened my eyes to the breadth and depth of the pepper mill market. :lol2:

fletcbgr08pm1214.jpg

I'd say I've heard her lament about a pepper mill at least 40 times also. :lol2:

And to be fair, I've also read multiple pages related to a singular spoon. With the discussion being good enough and thorough enough that I almost purchased a Kunz (even though I realistically have zero need for one).

Knowing her, with the vast reams of recommendations and data I've provided her with from you guys, she'll probably go with the Vic Firth/Fletchers Mill Border Grill peppermill. Turns out she doesn't want plastic, wants american made, and wants it somewhat stylish. Thanks to all who provided input. You've certainly opened my eyes to the breadth and depth of the pepper mill market. :lol2:

fletcbgr08pm1214.jpg

what mill is this? very nice looking.

Boom, on Amazon it's called the fletcher mill Mesa grill pepper mill.

Jim, nice find. cast Iron hand motar and pestle. I've never need one of those before. Going to go to Crate and Barrel today to pick one up today. This may be the only pepper grinder that will make me happy.

Another vote for the Magnum. The lack of fine grind is the only fault.

Back