Chinese/Japanese/Asian Vegtable knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynot1985

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm after a Chinese/Japanese/Asian style vegetable knife (the big ones that isn't nakiri)

it's the one knife where I don't have it covered. I have a KU Shigefusa but that's more a collection thing (I collect KU Shigs) rather than an everyday performance knife for home.

I'll be going to Hong Kong and Japan in June so I have access to CCK and Sugimoto, etc but I wasn't sure what would be the must have one if I can only get one (I'm open to any suggestions)

any suggestions?

Thanks

The standard watanabe cleaver has some weight behind, very sharp and the heft carries the knife through to the board. The watanabes are less common than some of the others.

I enjoy using cleavers - started the the hattori fh which is more of a thin style.

Is your Shig a chukabocho? that is the "one to have" right there if it is. Forget the collection aspect, use that bad-boy HARD.
The Watanabe Ku chukabocho is terrific if you can find one, a bit of a rare bird I think (at least it was), but heavier than what you might expect… Personally, the CCK 1103 is the absolute best bang for the buck and a must if you don't have one.
Disclaimer: I'm a "cleaver all the time" guy so I'm quite biased.
Cheers on your decision whatever it ends up being.

I normally go to their original store in HK in SSP..

the burwood store is run by one of their sons. The son is alot friendier than his father but the markup to get it shipped to OZ is alot more than what I'm willing to pay for a generic knife

Have you been to Leung Tim Choppers in Burwood?
I would imagine they have a fair selection.

Latest posts

Back