CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge 200mm 'Extra Heavy' Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I might be able to pickup where VIP left off seeing as I know have this knife. Coming from all German stainless to one of Cris's knives is like going from riding a bicycle to driving a lamborghini. I've never felt a knife move through food like this before.

I took it to work where I chopped enough veggies for 160 quarts of chicken soup, a case of broccoli, some spinach, stripped two dozen chicken breasts, and finished with a little parsley and basil. It put in a full day and kept going. When I got home I cubed some pancetta, halved some sprouts, and prepared some spuds for mashing.

After everything without stropping or sharpening the knife still flew through an onion. I passed it over my 6000 stone as Cris had told me to do after each day and it was back to hair popping sharp.

SjRmIn7

I like your bicycle analogy [emoji106]. Glad to know that she is in good hands.

Picture didn't want to work so I rehosted it.

I had wanted to mention dealing with Cris was really something else. I had a lot of questions for him, he always responded quickly, often going deeper than necessary into the subject to give me an answer. I feel like he went out of his way to make sure I was not only happy with the knife but with the process as a whole. I actually asked to be put on his list for another knife before I even got the first one.

I am sorry if this is an misinformed question, but how do you actually order one of Cris's knives? No site that I see, check a couple of the major resellers.

I am sorry if this is an misinformed question, but how do you actually order one of Cris's knives? No site that I see, check a couple of the major resellers.

I got in contact with him directly on Facebook. I believe he also has an active Instagram account. Just google "CJA edged art Facebook" He's always responded very quick to my messages.

I think he still has his books open for custom work. I'm not sure how long they will be open. I missed the chance to get on his books a couple of months ago, but I got lucky by getting a stock knife(they don't come up often).

Any update Neens? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a stock knife he just made that is 240 it looks sweet.

I came close to getting it too. Then I remembered that I'm not buying knives at the moment, but rather selling to raise funds for non knife related things

You go for it. If i didn't have plans in the works it would be damn tempting

I just got a 260 from him and it is amazing. I'm trying to come up with the money. The part that is really appealing to me is jumping his very long custom list by getting what he calls a stock knife(it's really a custom) .

Any update Neens? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a stock knife he just made that is 240 it looks sweet.

Sorry didn't get the notification about an update. Even though the knife is his extra heavy style I'm still able to flick the knife through potatoes. I'm able to keep the blade very very sharp with minimal maintenance. I tapped my thumb on the heel reaching for something and came away bloody.

I picked up one of his stones also. I like using it. Five or so minutes at the end of the day seem to bring the edge back really well. I believe it's the only stone he uses to put an edge on his knives but I'm not sure. I haven't yet been able to get the knife back to the sharpness it was shipped to me with but I think it's more of my skills with free hand sharpening.

I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow. The patina is coming along nicely

Is it that one with the crazy hamon from yesterday? You made a great choice with Cris. I've got another knife in the works with him and the lines of communication are really amazing.

I think you'll like it. Cris and I have something in the works and I'm more into shorter blades. If you dig the length and the crazy hardening transition, it'd be nice to jump to the front of the line and get a very cool, unique knife.

Thanks for the info XooMG and Neens. The hamon is really unique and beautiful on it.

I just saw the available stock knife on Cris's IG. It can be made in the range of 225mm-240mm apparently. Someone should get it and get in front of his list.

It has been more than 2 years since the journey of this knife. I currently have something new in the works with Cris Anderson of Scorpion Forge.

Here is a sneak peek, I will be starting a new thread on the making of the knife.

https://youtu.be/NL2LTqSF5fE

Back